Hyundai ix25 Compact SUV Named Creta

Impressive design and feature list I must say and that's what Hyundai has been doing for their entire car range! 6 speed A/T compact Diesel SUV is really a first in segment.

This is a perfect car for an active lifestyle but the only thing I was expecting and fell short is the AWD, at-least as an option...
I feel Hyundai missed the opportunity of offering an AWD with 6speed A/T transmission which would again be a killer first in this compact SUV segment and would make a cut in two segments above.

Last edited:
Look very promising indeed! The looks, features and the handling and ride and all a pleasant surprise ( though not the looks and features.) Happy to see the 1.6 VGT diesels doing duty here too. Also, by the pricing strategy, as said in the above review, will take the duster head on? That means 15 lakhs for the top end? If so, then bye bye Creta.

Wow! By the way reviewer explained, I guess the handling is improved. And 6 speed A/T in diesel is a sure shot winner as I can see. And finally, they only have 1.6L VTVT and diesel get couple of options. Finally it all boils down to pricing. If what reviewer said is to be believed I guess it can give real heartburn for Nissan's only sales trump card Duster!!!

Also, by the pricing strategy, as said in the above review, will take the duster head on? That means 15 lakhs for the top end? If so, then bye bye Creta.
I dont think Hyundai will make a suicidal attempt by pricing it in that range, like how Honda priced jazz initially. Though a great car, it was priced in a premium sector which in turn made it a non-selling dud.
Hyundai Chennai head gave an interview few weeks back, and he mentioned a probable pricing range of 8-12 L, which I feel is a reasonable range. Anything more, and s-cross may steal the show.

If what reviewer said is to be believed I guess it can give real heartburn for Nissan's only sales trump card Duster!!!
I think you meant Renault's trump card- The Duster. True.

I dont think Hyundai will make a suicidal attempt by pricing it in that range, like how Honda priced jazz initially. Though a great car, it was priced in a premium sector which in turn made it a non-selling dud.
Hyundai Chennai head gave an interview few weeks back, and he mentioned a probable pricing range of 8-12 L, which I feel is a reasonable range. Anything more, and s-cross may steal the show.
Thats the perfect price range and I sincerely hope Hyundai doesn't screw it up. Lets wait and watch.

Reviewed by Motoroids.[clap]
Hyundai Creta 1.6 CRDi diesel, in both manual and automatic trims- top of the line SX (O) variants.

-You sit relatively low inside the cabin. The driving position is not as commanding as you would assume for a car with such good ground clearance and character. The dashboard feels high set, and the feel from the driver’s position is very car-like.
-Steering is adjustable for height but not for reach. The steering wheel on the AT variant wasn’t leather wrapped and felt slightly hard and rough, though the leather wrapped wheel on the Manual version felt soft and very nice to hold. We were a little perplexed on seeing fabric seats and no leather steering wheel on the AT variant, which is supposed to be the absolute top of the line variant. The manual SX (O) variant, on the other hand featured leather seats and a much-nicer-to-hold leather wrapped steering wheel too.
-1.6 diesel seemed to have a mild turbo lag and spooled up fully only at 2000 rpm, even after featuring a VGT. Having said that, the car drove reasonably well in low revs and there wasn’t any noticeable gasping or spluttering. We didn’t drive it for too long, but it can be said that the car does have some amount of turbo lag
-The gear shifts on the 6-speed manual transmission are very smooth and didn’t leave us with anything to complain
-The turbo lag which was quite noticeable in the manual version wasn’t apparent in the auto variant where the electronic brain did the cog swapping for us in a rather deft manner.
-The automatic transmission on the Creta is pretty good and feels better than the earlier auto transmissions on Hyundai cars in this segment
-The auto transmission is quite snappy and shifts up rather quickly. We tried to confuse it by modulating the throttle, though it responded pretty well to the challenges thrown. We cannot have a conclusive opinion on the gearbox based on such a short test, though the initial impressions are very good
-In the automatic trim, the Creta 1.6 diesel auto upshifts at 4300 rpm at full throttle or in manual mode.The manual transmission trim, the Creta is redlined at 4800 rpm, though it revs all the way up to 5000 rpm
-The engine gets slightly noisy after 3000 rpm, though it still remains smooth and none of this noise really translates into any vibrations or irritating drone inside the cabin
-Body rolls is perceptible but is decent for the height of the vehicle. Ride is supple, but the vehicle rolls more when compared to say, the Duster or the Ecosport.
-Braking is taken care of by disc brakes up front and drums at the rear.
-The cushy ride of the Creta is commendable, especially as the vehicle we drove was riding on large 17 inch wheels with low profile tyres. This also makes us think that the versions with 16 inch wheels will probably have even more pronounced body roll

Interior and space
-Front seats are nice and well scooped out. They fit our colleague Arjun Dharve, who is of a relatively slim built very snugly with nice lateral support. Those seats, however, might turn out to be a tad small for people with a larger build though.
-Driver seat is height adjustable, though there is no lumbar support here
-Power window buttons are well finished, are of a good quality and have an auto function for the driver side window
-Road and wind noise felt well controlled for the brief time we drove the car for.
-The Creta looks reasonably bigger than the Ecosport and exceeds the 4 meter limit which gets a car manufacturer excise duty cut in India. So it will likely not be able to match the Ecosport on price, and by a fair margin
-Rear space is good for 2 adults, 3 would be a squeeze though
-Rear seat has center arm rest and cup holders, though it doesn’t have any lid covered storage space
-Front AC is a single zone automatic unit with rotary controls.
-Rear seat has twin AC vents for the rear passengers
-Rear A/C doesn’t get any controls for fan speed or temperature though
-Head room at the rear is adequate. While the shoulder line of the Creta is quite high and the windows aren’t very big and wide, the good amount of headroom ensures that the car doesn’t feel claustrophobic.
-The leg room at the back seat is pretty good, though the under-thigh support could have been better
-There aren’t any dedicated reading lights for the rear passengers
-Rear seat back folds down flat but there is no split seat option
-While boot space volume has not been specified by Hyundai, it looks generous.
-The boot also gets a removable parcel tray
-The Creta comes with a 16 inch spare wheel with steel rims on a car that comes with 17 inch alloys. Clearly, the spare uses a higher profile tyre
-The overall exterior finish is pretty good, though there are some uneven panel gaps in some places which could have been done away with.

Infotainment, storage spaces and other features

-The center console on the Creta features a double din LCD multimedia screen
-The touchscreen on the center panel is very nice. The resolution is good and feels sensitive to touch without having to press the finger too hard against the screen
As is generally the case with Hyundai cars, the audio system sounds very good, the sat-nav is easy to input details with, though we cannot comment on its functionality
-There is an extensive trip computer with details like distance to dry, average efficiency and other important data
-There is no dearth of storage spaces inside the Creta. The car has space for big bottles on all four doors, along with map pockets.
-There is also a generous storage space under the front armrest which can hold a lot more than a few cellphones and wallets
-There is another small storage space ahead of the shifter stick / drive selector to put your small belongings in
-Sockets below the centre console include USB / Aux –in and a 12V power socket
-The car features cornering lights like the XUV500, though the corner illuminators are separate halogen units. The main units are projectors for the top variants
-The shark fin antenna on the Creta aids reception for sat-nav, radio as well as for Bluetooth
-ORVMs are power folding and feature mounted turn indicators
-Fit and finish is quite nice and overall the interior looks very nice though it’s not totally devoid of hard plastics. There is some hardness to be felt on the rear door panels and the upper black part of the dashboard – this isn’t much to complain about though.
-The buttons are very tactile, soft to touch and built to last – there is no flimsiness to be felt there.

Hyundai Creta 1.6 CRDi Diesel AT / MT first driving impressions | Motoroids

Seems lot of confusion whether 6-speed AT will be available in SX(O) or not. I was about to go ahead with the booking looking at the safety features but some reports suggest AT available only in SX variant devoid of 6 - airbags, ESC, HAC etc.. It will be great if we can get confirmation on the same.

Logged into TAI after many many months. Had been busy with studies as well as work. Crucial period of time for career goals as well.[:)] Nothing really new was happening at the wheels front too at my house, so didn't have much to update. Had been planning to buy a compact SUV for very very long time now in our family. Had booked the Ford Ecosport also with-in a few days of its launch back in 2013 but the Titanium(O) variant took way too longer to arrive at the dealership and we had lost our patience by then. After waiting for 4 months cancelled the booking before the car could even reach the dealer's yard. Car purchase got pushed in-definitely as we were not able to circle it down to one car which all family members agreed to.

Now again the new car bug started in May this year when dad started saying he would now like to get behind a new set of wheels than the Ford Fiesta Classic he has been driving for past 4 years and the choice again was for a compact SUV. He had the Renault Duster in mind, but I felt it has become an old product now. I mean too early to say that, but going by the design and the features it has on offer, it somehow fails to compete. Ford Ecosport had already left a sour spot in our hearts. Not maybe the product as such but the way Ford took customers for a ride during the initial phase.

Meanwhile read online that Hyundai's ix-25 has been named something as bizarre as CRETA for India and other markets. And the launch is being preponed from earlier expected October-November festival time to July 21st. That was a welcome move for us. Showed a few pics of the car to Mom-Dad and it did strike a chord with them. Rang up few of the local Hyundai dealers here in Chandigarh and told them I wish to buy the first car which comes in town, this was about two-three weeks back. That time the bookings had not started. Few days went by and no further updates except for a few leaked images here and there online which made me feel this might be the right kind of an upgrade and a decent fit for our family. Got a call finally yesterday that they have started taking bookings for the car. Went in the morning today and pre-booked it. I guess its still not official as yet from Hyundai, but read that all dealers have started taking the bookings.

Over the phone I was told a cheque reading INR50,000 would be sufficient, but a little negotiations on a span of not more than 10minutes brought the figure down to INR10,000. Went there during lunchtime and handed over the cheque and got the receipt for the same. Opting as of now for 1.6 MT SX diesel in White/Silver. The SE said they will be getting 8-10 cars in the first lot and he will hand me over the list on 18th July as to which all variants in which color will be provided to them in the first lot. I can further make a change that very time according to the variant/color availability.

The SE sounded super excited over this upcoming SUV and he said it would be something as big a hit as the new i20 is. Pricing from his own internal sources said would start at 8-8.10Lakhs for base Petrol. For the variant we booked, i.e. 1.6 MT SX diesel he said it would be in the range of 11 Lakhs ex-showroom.

Its unlike an automobile enthusiast decision to go for a car even when the official reviews from the experts are not out as yet, forget about test driving it personally. But this was just done due to the fact that my dad keeps changing his decision of buying a new car every now and then and since he is still in the mood to get a new one, I took the opportunity to pre-book this one before he changes his mind again. Will be keenly following all updates here on regarding this new SUV.

There are two things that I really expect from this car -

1. I hope the steering has some sort of a life to it. I hope its not as dead as the one in my fluidic Verna. Its good to drive with-in city, light to maneuver around but out on highways, its just nerve-wrecking at times. Next to zero feedback. So I hope Hyundai has done something about it in this one.

2. Body roll should be in acceptable limits. Going by the ground clearance I'm sure it won't handle like a hatch or a sedan and I know it won't give the pliant ride of a Duster but I still hope Hyundai has worked upon the dynamics of the car.

Here is the booking receipt. Cropped most of the details as I guess its still not official as yet and I don't want anyone to land into trouble because of it.

IMG_6948 - Copy.JPG
IMG_6947.JPG

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Congrats on booking the car [:D] this is sure going to put huge dent in sale of the duster. And i read a review in which they said it's the best handler of hyundai though the drive was just for about 10 minutes. But every reviewer initial exeriences were good.

Guys, please understand that none of these first drives have been conducted on real road conditions. They are all in the pristine factory area test track which is always a "feel good experience". So we have to see the real ride and handling quality only once it is officially launched.
I believe the slight lack of 3-pax comfort at the rear may be a bit of an issue. One of the advantages of the Duster is that it is kind of squarish at the rear, like a Sumo (for ex) therefore there is decent headroom and width for 3 adults.

Top Bottom