Pre-Purchase Queries: New Car For Rs.40 Lakhs

I do not understand why everyone is sharing links of breakdowns or flatbeds or insurance or being rip off. You guys are pointing out that the OP's car will indefinitely break down. You guys should encourage someone when they're getting a new car, not share posts like these. With these posts, you think cars above 20L should not sell only?!?!?

@Akop: MY17 will be fine. No issues. Maybe resale will be very slightly affected and regarding your sales person is right. mostly MY18 cars come in March or April. Mostly it depends on how quick the MY17 stock runs out. And the Superb is not something that will sell that quickly. That too you say that it is a small town and only one dealer. In Delhi, MY18 cars come in Jan or Feb also.

Regarding the packs, you'll have to see. Please see if you can collect car from Delhi. The more amount of dealers gives you more scope for negotiation and thus getting a better deal.

Thread Starter #32
Answer : Vinayak Skoda, Bangalore link is here. It asks for Ph Nr. & Mail ID. I played it safe and gave some imaginary info. Good luck.

======================== INTERESTING ===================================

I would also recommend anyone interested in buying a Luxury Car, to go thro' a very interesting thread in Team-bHP. The thread starts off with Team-bHP support GTO writing "if you own a high-end luxury car, you are officially part of the rip-off club... ".

Story: A 'slightly damaged barricade, supported by a Stone' was kept on the Highway (to slow down vehicles) and a A Benz hit the barricade and the stone. The stone/ barricade damaged the right head lamp. The barricade also hit the left side of the bumper and left side head lamp and it was damaged. Stone only hit the bumper and the radiator and the coolant leaked. A hose to the air conditioner also got damaged. Engine stopped immediately. Benz was towed later. Final repair bill was Rs. 14.55 Lakhs and Insurance Paid Rs. 13.73 Lakhs. Oh.... the IDV of the Car was 23 Lakhs. Link to Team-bhp thread is here.
Guys those threads are so heart breaking, atleast for a person in my position who's waiting a Swedish brands delivery, which is owned by a German giant. I believe if you buy anything which is so called premium in their field, you will get ripped off by the dealer. In my case what's frustrating is that the dealer is not giving the proper accessories. The icing on the cake is their customer support also suck.

I do not understand why everyone is sharing links of breakdowns or flatbeds or insurance or being rip off. You guys are pointing out that the OP's car will indefinitely break down. You guys should encourage someone when they're getting a new car, not share posts like these. With these posts, you think cars above 20L should not sell only?!?!?

@Akop: MY17 will be fine. No issues. Maybe resale will be very slightly affected and regarding your sales person is right. mostly MY18 cars come in March or April. Mostly it depends on how quick the MY17 stock runs out. And the Superb is not something that will sell that quickly. That too you say that it is a small town and only one dealer. In Delhi, MY18 cars come in Jan or Feb also.

Regarding the packs, you'll have to see. Please see if you can collect car from Delhi. The more amount of dealers gives you more scope for negotiation and thus getting a better deal.
Thanks a lot. Your post made me felt completely opposite than the above two posts. Everything is final my dear, cannot take delivery from Delhi now. I called Skoda customer support and asked them what exactly is included in the kit, they told me to contact the dealer about it as they themselves have no idea about the same. Anyways the dealer is just giving me few mats whereas people on teambhp have included a ton of things including navigation which this dealer is selling for around 10k.

@vijay_968
If you have time then is there a way for you to find out from that dealership the things included in the kit?

Last edited:
... ... ...
@vijay_968
If you have time then is there a way for you to find out from that dealership the things included in the kit?
I gave them my contact details by 9:50 and their Mumbai Center called me within an hour. During this call, you became my friend from abroad who is returning in Feb 2018 and planning to buy a Skoda. Summary:

1. Ex-show room price is 26,74,000 for Style and 29,99,000 for L&K for Superb Petrol Automatic with Triptonic.
  2. Style comes with 6 Airbags and 2 zone Climate Control, while L&K comes with 8 Airbags and 3 zone ACC.
  3. "On-road price, discounts and accessories" are "to be discussed with the dealer". Accessories are not part of standard supply (See Note-1).
  4. Navigation is part of the 8" Central Display. The Maps needs to be updated by visiting the Service Centre. But, this display can ALSO mirror "Navigation from your Smart Phone".
  5. Two Charging points are available in both variants. But, Charger/Cable are accessories and are NOT part of standard supply. May be the Aux & i-Phone Cables are Standard supply. I got it free from Hyundai.
  6. Mumbai center did not have info on if the 5th wheel is Alloy or Steel. I didn't like it when I was told that the "dealer has THIS info" [anger]
  7. "Hands-free Parking Assist" is available in current Octavia, but NOT available in current Superb [surprise]. The 2018 model Superb will have this feature (See Note-2).
Hope above helps.

Vinayak Skoda has toooooo good a Sales Team and will come to my home with a TD Car and my mind will start behaving like a Moneky's. So, sorry, I don't want to Call Skoda dealers in B'lore.

In the meanwhile, I downloaded Superb's Brochure; it is a 4.1 MB Files and hence can't upload. You can get it from here.
Note-1: Pages 33 & 34 (pdf pages 34 & 35) list the accessories. I think you'll have to pay for them. May be they are given free during December.
Note-2: Page 25 (pdf page 26) of the Superb Brochure says, that the current Superb has "Hands-free Parking". I wonder, if the Mumbai Call Center Gentleman knew it.

===============================================

I do not understand why everyone is sharing links of breakdowns or flatbeds or insurance or being rip off. You guys are pointing out that the OP's car will indefinitely break down. You guys should encourage someone when they're getting a new car, not share posts like these. With these posts, you think cars above 20L should not sell ?!?!? ..... ....
OP is diverting funds he reserved for buying a Home to a 40 Lakhs car, and planning to continue in a rented House. And, he IS jumping from a "low maintenance M-800 to an European Car". So I came up with my Post at # 13 in this thread. Does it look like I discouraged him ? But, when he decided to go ahead, I felt the need to inform him about "high maintenance of European Cars" and shared that link on rip-off thread from Team-bHP.

It is NOT a question on sale of cars costing more than 20 Lakhs. It is the European biggies take on those buying a Rs 20 Lakhs Car. Just look at ratings of VW & Skoda in J.D.Power's CSI-2017 ??? VW is at 12th, I'm not seeing Skoda, while Maruti is (tied with Tata) at 2nd. OP should know this difference in Service levels between Maruti and VW/Skoda. We are just making him aware. THAT's all.

BTW, if a TAI Member buys a new Car, everyone here will be happy, because that will open an additional thread and information [clap]

kkn13

Suspended
^^ Spare wheel is a space saver 205 section tyre VS 215 on other 4 wheels
While not excellent, good enough considering every other competitor is giving poor choices in spare tyre dept

Any reason Octavia RS was not considered? Its a halo product and within your budget

I agree with Vijay, we had a Superb 2nd gen and my SIL had a Polo, its important to know the pros and cons before making the jump from Japanese to German

If I were to buy another German, itd have to be something extraordinary
German cars are like a white elephant

That said - Skoda has alot of aftermarket support so its probably worth the go compared to its badge engineered counterparts - VW and Audi

PS- Hands free parking is a gimmick, hardly works and Team BHP encountered a snag wherein one of the test Octavias damaged a Rapid while auto parking

Last edited:
Thread Starter #36
I gave them my contact details by 9:50 and their Mumbai Center called me within an hour. During this call, you became my friend from abroad who is returning in Feb 2018 and planning to buy a Skoda. Summary:

1. Ex-show room price is 26,74,000 for Style and 29,99,000 for L&K for Superb Petrol Automatic with Triptonic.
  2. Style comes with 6 Airbags and 2 zone Climate Control, while L&K comes with 8 Airbags and 3 zone ACC.
  3. "On-road price, discounts and accessories" are "to be discussed with the dealer". Accessories are not part of standard supply (See Note-1).
  4. Navigation is part of the 8" Central Display. The Maps needs to be updated by visiting the Service Centre. But, this display can ALSO mirror "Navigation from your Smart Phone".
  5. Two Charging points are available in both variants. But, Charger/Cable are accessories and are NOT part of standard supply. May be the Aux & i-Phone Cables are Standard supply. I got it free from Hyundai.
  6. Mumbai center did not have info on if the 5th wheel is Alloy or Steel. I didn't like it when I was told that the "dealer has THIS info" [anger]
  7. "Hands-free Parking Assist" is available in current Octavia, but NOT available in current Superb [surprise]. The 2018 model Superb will have this feature (See Note-2).
Hope above helps.

Vinayak Skoda has toooooo good a Sales Team and will come to my home with a TD Car and my mind will start behaving like a Moneky's. So, sorry, I don't want to Call Skoda dealers in B'lore.

In the meanwhile, I downloaded Superb's Brochure; it is a 4.1 MB Files and hence can't upload. You can get it from here.
Note-1: Pages 33 & 34 (pdf pages 34 & 35) list the accessories. I think you'll have to pay for them. May be they are given free during December.
Note-2: Page 25 (pdf page 26) of the Superb Brochure says, that the current Superb has "Hands-free Parking". I wonder, if the Mumbai Call Center Gentleman knew it.

===============================================

OP is diverting funds he reserved for buying a Home to a 40 Lakhs car, and planning to continue in a rented House. And, he IS jumping from a "low maintenance M-800 to an European Car". So I came up with my Post at # 13 in this thread. Does it look like I discouraged him ? But, when he decided to go ahead, I felt the need to inform him about "high maintenance of European Cars" and shared that link on rip-off thread from Team-bHP.

It is NOT a question on sale of cars costing more than 20 Lakhs. It is the European biggies take on those buying a Rs 20 Lakhs Car. Just look at ratings of VW & Skoda in J.D.Power's CSI-2017 ??? VW is at 12th, I'm not seeing Skoda, while Maruti is (tied with Tata) at 2nd. OP should know this difference in Service levels between Maruti and VW/Skoda. We are just making him aware. THAT's all.

BTW, if a TAI Member buys a new Car, everyone here will be happy, because that will open an additional thread and information [clap]
First of all thank you so much for taking time out of your schedule and doing the digging for me. You are so kind.
No idea about the Style variant, but in the first visit the ex showroom price quoted to me was 2899999/-, accessories kit+insurance free. They didn't had the MY 2018 variant but they said that it will have 10 light colour options in ambient lighting, hands free parking, sleeping rear seats with headrests like the one they have in planes and in their Kodiaq SUV, fully touch central display. I told them to show the actual model. So, I went in after a week, except sleeping rear seats the other options were there. They said that the company stopped the option of sleeping seats in Superb. Anyways I was handed a new quotation with the ex showroom price of 2999000/- and they said that I will have to pay for insurance and the kit. They didn't even listen to me so I had to send some mails to the owner of the delaer and eventually I was told that they can give Rs. 1 lac off on Superb so they will give it for 29 lacs and kit free but insurance charges I will have to bear. They said that the kit includes only mats but team bhp's thread says otherwise. The tyres are I think of MRF, not sure but the spare tyre which is smaller in size is of Goodyear and it had steel not alloy.
Coming to the brochure, it is of the older model. It can be downloaded from here to save some time
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=58601754439933726907
It shows the accessories yes, but as per teambhp forum MY 2018 includes some new accessories+navigation so I wouldn't bet on that brochure.
The maps will be updated by them only if you buy the navigation stick from them. The dealer is not even giving the cables/charger which even a Maruti buyer is getting these days for free.
So, the contents of the kit still remain a mystery to me as of now.
About your last paragraph, your reply to @type-r I know most of you might laugh at this decision of buying a car from property money but trust me every factor was considered before reaching to this decision. I know it is hard to make you all understand but I did check every option.

What exactly is J.D.Power's CSI-2017?

^^ Spare wheel is a space saver 205 section tyre VS 215 on other 4 wheels
While not excellent, good enough considering every other competitor is giving poor choices in spare tyre dept

Any reason Octavia RS was not considered? Its a halo product and within your budget

I agree with Vijay, we had a Superb 2nd gen and my SIL had a Polo, its important to know the pros and cons before making the jump from Japanese to German

If I were to buy another German, itd have to be something extraordinary
German cars are like a white elephant

That said - Skoda has alot of aftermarket support so its probably worth the go compared to its badge engineered counterparts - VW and Audi

PS- Hands free parking is a gimmick, hardly works and Team BHP encountered a snag wherein one of the test Octavias damaged a Rapid while auto parking
Because Octavia didn't had the looks and features as per family. What is SIL?
True, hands free parking will remain a gimmick until and unless our government allows usage of radars in cars in India.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
If I am in your place, I will either go for a XE Jaguar or a new Toyota Camry Hybrid or else look for good condition used Mercedes Benz (preferably an E-Class).

Regards

Akash

kkn13

Suspended
Because Octavia didn't had the looks and features as per family. What is SIL?
True, hands free parking will remain a gimmick until and unless our government allows usage of radars in cars in India.
SIL means sister in law
More than radar , proper road conditions, proper parking spaces etc

If I am in your place, I will either go for a XE Jaguar or a new Toyota Camry Hybrid or else look for good condition used Mercedes Benz (preferably an E-Class).

Regards

Akash
Jaguar XE is a terrible option
firstly its base variant is a good 15L overbudget and misses out on basic stuff
Secondly JLR after sales is very very poor

My dad himself considered Discovery Sport initially but his friends adviced against it since they owned FreeLander 2 , so he was gonna go for GLC but lack of spare tyre and overall performance put him off
So we opted for Tucson because it gave alot more for half the price if not badge value

Camry Hybrid has been discontinued, else I agree

Mercedes has very high prices in used market, you can actually opt for a new Mercedes by spending a bit more given the various maintenance issues that will arise for a 3-5 year old German

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Jaguar XE is a terrible option
firstly its base variant is a good 15L overbudget and misses out on basic stuff
Secondly JLR after sales is very very poor
Wrong! XE Pure 2.0L is on road 41 Lacs in Delhi. It is not overshooting or anything. Check the facts (Car trade)

shot-20171215-24317-366u0k.jpeg

Camry Hybrid has been discontinued, else I agree
Fairly recent development then.

Mercedes has very high prices in used market, you can actually opt for a new Mercedes by spending a bit more given the various maintenance issues that will arise for a 3-5 year old German
Not necessarily every German or European used vehicle shall turn out a lemon.

--Akash

kkn13

Suspended
Obviously you havent owned a German car then, they age within 3-5 years and thats when the maintenance clock starts, after service packages and warranties end
My family has owned its share of Germans, its not a matter of lemons
Look at your own car, would you have bought it in its current state if it was 2nd hand if you can afford the latest one given a few lakhs price difference?
See any Mercedes in the market, they have nearly 50-70% more resale value than Audi,BMW
Meaning youd rather buy a new Mercedes and save yourself the hassle of saving a few lakhs

As for XE Pure, are you seriously suggesting a base variant to him, Superb and even Octavia offer much more for the price

Ive attended every car event including The Art of Performance Tour in Mumbai
While the more expensive cars in their top end variants are impressive (1Cr and above)
Anything below it is not that great compared to the competition especially when it comes to servicing
After sales is poor with JLR and aftermarket support and knowledge is very poor unlike Mercedes,BMW, Audi and Skoda/VW wherein even with a good FNG, you wont have much trouble if you are careful

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Obviously you havent owned a German car then, they age within 3-5 years and thats when the maintenance clock starts, after service packages and warranties end
If one has the resources to maintain a German even without the warranties et al, then, no harm. It depends on one's resources and mindset. I just don't follow perceptions. I have the money to service my car, so, whether warranty is there or not, I give a damn and keep my car in good shape. I have experienced the German cars very closely BTW.

Look at your own car, would you have bought it in its current state if it was 2nd hand if you can afford the latest one given a few lakhs price difference?
If the car is working well and it is fulfilling the benchmarks I have, why would I not buy? So what if that's a used one?

See any Mercedes in the market, they have nearly 50-70% more resale value than Audi,BMW
All depends on car's condition and negotiating skills of the buyer.

Meaning youd rather buy a new Mercedes and save yourself the hassle of saving a few lakhs
I will pay a slightly higher amount on a used example if it is actually deserving.

As for XE Pure, are you seriously suggesting a base variant to him, Superb and even Octavia offer much more for the price
I am not at all comfortable with the Skoda ASC w.r.t expensive cars. They even mis-communicated about Rapid to a buyer.

Ive attended every car event including The Art of Performance Tour in Mumbai
While the more expensive cars in their top end variants are impressive (1Cr and above)
I too have and have driven Jaguars on many occasions. I am more inclined towards the budget mentioned by OP.

Anything below it is not that great compared to the competition especially when it comes to servicing
That's perhaps your perception based on maybe some out-of-the-blue incident.

After sales is poor with JLR and aftermarket support and knowledge is very poor
I know it would be same old Discovery story you'll put in here. But do remember, things and thoughts do change. Not every JLR vehicle in present day is facing such terrible issues.

--Akash

Last edited:
German cars' aftersales service being bad is hyped. Trust me on that.
@kkn you point fingers as if you are only one who has experienced german cars and we do not have any experience with Mercedes or any thing. Even though I do not known presently any car from the big three, I do know a lot about them due to many in my Immediate friend circle. You name it. LR Merc Beemer MINI Volvo... Let me know what experience you need and from which service station. So please do not throw the "oh you definitely never owned a German" dialoge. Even Akash is aware of many people and activities in the industry. So I would take his word for it too. You bought a Tucson after considering a Discovery sport? And you crib that it might be too unreliable? Sir you should not have looked over Fortuner or anything, if that is your motto for owning the car.

While I do agree with your view on JLR after sales service, I know people who are extremely happy. There will always be a positive and negative. Skoda has so many horror stories. I know several people who sold a Skoda to buy a Skoda and also plan to add more Skodas to garage. Does it make Skoda the best brand? No. But just claiming Skoda or Mercedes is bad just because you had a bad experience is not right. I know my aunt was happy with Mercedes then they were stuck with some ripping off hence they left and now use FNGs to maintain their W203 C220 CDi.

I think OP is doing right decision of opting for Superb because it gives most for your money in terms of space and value.

ALSO: Do not scare OP with ownership problems. It depends on how he wants to live in what kind of house or rented or whatever. We are an automotive forum. Not a real estate forum. Only car queries should be solved.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
German cars' aftersales service being bad is hyped. Trust me on that.
Very True! Also if these Germans are so unreliable why are they so hot favorites among the celebs too? Why are the JLR SUVs in so high demand if they can't give proper service? An odd case can happen in any brand. Forget a 1 Cr car even a 5 Lac rupee car can have niggles. It is not that every Merc Dealer or any luxury brand dealer will have a agenda against their own customers that they'll purposely tarnish the brand's image. Yes, there are cases but that doesn't mean that entire brand can be generalized as bad. I would also like to ask here, How many cases with respect to JLR's F-Pace, Land Rover Discovery, RR Evoque, Merc's GLS, GLE & Audi's Q7 and BMW X5 in present day have been reported with life threatening faults?

Regards

Akash

PS:

Obviously you havent owned a German car then,
To understand or know about a car, it is not necessary one has to own one. @Type R has a Creta & Ertiga and I guess he did have Polo too but that doesn't mean, he cannot get knowledge of high end cars or have experience about them. There are many here who have great knowledge with facts in place about super cars and high end luxury cars but it is not necessary that they are the owners of them too.

My dad himself considered Discovery Sport initially but his friends adviced against it since they owned FreeLander 2 , so he was gonna go for GLC but lack of spare tyre and overall performance put him off
So we opted for Tucson because it gave alot more for half the price if not badge value
It was absolutely a unreal comparison between GLC & Tucson or JLR SUV. Every car is there for a purpose and one can't simply put them all in one parameter to judge. If you actually have bought Tucson in end, then GLC & JLR SUVs shouldn't have been put in contention in first place. With due respect to your purchase, if I am in your place with a budget of 25-30 Lacs, I'll settle for an Endeavour and wouldn't even think of checking the upper end cars.

Last edited:
Yes, there are cases but that doesn't mean that entire brand can be generalized as bad. I would also like to ask here, How many cases with respect to JLR's F-Pace, Land Rover Discovery, RR Evoque, Merc's GLS, GLE & Audi's Q7 and BMW X5 in present day have been reported with life threatening faults?

PS:

To understand or know about a car, it is not necessary one has to own one. @Type R has a Creta & Ertiga and I guess he did have Polo too but that doesn't mean, he cannot get knowledge of high end cars or have experience about them. There are many here who have great knowledge with facts in place about super cars and high end luxury cars but it is not necessary that they are the owners of them too.
Yes till the Evoque there were teething issues with After sales I agree. But post Discovery Sport, I am yet to see anything. Also a great example is a person who suffered with first gen Jaguar XF but after much hesitation, I convinced him to buy the latest XF and he hasn't been happiest ever. He loves the car and truly appreciates the change in attitude at service.

About the cars, let's just say I had some more exotics with me for a short duration of time that gave me an idea of service cost, service quality and vehicle reliablity because one thing is for sure, I do not take it easy on cars and if if they come out unscathed, truly it deserves [clap]

kkn13

Suspended
Akash , you obviously havent driven the said cars then if you think the comparison is unreal
While there are obvious differences, you simply compare what you get for your money and basic stuff like spare tyre missing in the more expensive cars,lack of features, poor seating and youll know why

Obviously its easy for you to say Endeavour but do you in your right mind think an Endeavour can be compared to an urban UV in a city like Mumbai?

Im sure you would love to make assumptions about Rolls Royce and question the owners of Rolls Royce but in the real world, opinion of someone who has actually had experience dealing with the brand will know better than someone sitting behind a computer screen

My grandad owns an ML250 which he uses on special occasions etc and his Crysta is his daily car
My sister in law owned Polo until last year
My father had CRV and Superb until last year

I happen be in marketing and I dont think you have heard of the term-Halo effect wherein products only shine because of herd mentality and the virtual pedestal and general opinion
Thats why brands like Apple came up

I like how you mentioned "present day" for faults right after advicing OP to buy a used car
As though magically any faults will disappear from an older car because its "present day"

Also Type R , you proved my point why certain brands are better than the others
While JLR,Volvo cars are tougher to maintain outside in FNGs,
Audi, BMW, Mercedes , Skoda are a relative breeze. If you dont like the service, you can always service them in FNGs no problem

FYI I actually adviced OP to go for Superb or BMW + BSI if not Camry, so keep calm, Im perfectly unbiased unlike some making assumptions

OP has made a good choice with Superb, Ive owned one in the past and I even told him about my positive experience with the car overall

Last edited:
Top Bottom