My Dream SUV XUV500

Thread Starter #121
^^The angry young man you are..:lol!:

Being true,I never expected that you will scold someone this way.From next time onwards I'll mind my words.
In fact,let all the dynamics etc etc go to hell..XUV is the best car in the world..really..[;)]

BTW,I too faced many such people when I bought Laura..
Uncles said "Why Skoda"?
Then they said "You made a blunder by buying one in petrol,it will not sell for even a lakh..no one will buy it".
But now my father is very happy with the car.

GF said "Vipul,Civic looks better"(Her brother in law owns one)
Eh,I myself don't remember how many Civics I have smoked from my TSi,including the one owned by her BIL...but but but..I never said anything.I let my car speak..[:D]
Exactly, each car is the best in the world for its Owner, otherwise why wud he buy it.
And wud U believe it, couple of years back, I had even paid an advance chq of 1 Lac for Laura petrol TSI. I had test-drove it and I must admit, it had one of the best engines I have ever driven. Yes, even better than XUV's.

Even the interiors and features of Laura are awesome. Anybody who luvs to drive car and isn't bothered about fuel costs, TSI is the one to go for, esp. at this price.

I cancelled it coz I heard they were coming out with Yeti and at that time, owning a SUV had become my first priority.

^^WTH,still you bought an XUV!!
How have you even felt the XUV good after driving a Laura?
You have now pressed my ailing nerve and this can cause me to make a weird compro of TSi and XUV..:stupid:

We also had no plan of buying the car,but a test drive was enough to steal our hearts.Else my father who seldom drives had done his life's longest TD of about 6 kms in TSi(Else his TD goes only upto 300-400 meters)and he drives the car many times with chauffy on front seat..
Rest,Yeti is the car I love the most..maybe it is going to be my next car.
BTW,why haven't you tried out for Yeti?I think it rides,handles and performs far better than XUV and has great FE too.Only price and five seat are an issue that people feel as its drawbacks.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #123
^^WTH,still you bought an XUV!!
How have you even felt the XUV good after driving a Laura?
You have now pressed my ailing nerve and this can cause me to make a weird compro of TSi and XUV..:stupid:

We also had no plan of buying the car,but a test drive was enough to steal our hearts.Else my father who seldom drives had done his life's longest TD of about 6 kms in TSi(Else his TD goes only upto 300-400 meters)and he drives the car many times with chauffy on front seat..
Rest,Yeti is the car I love the most..maybe it is going to be my next car.
BTW,why haven't you tried out for Yeti?I think it rides,handles and performs far better than XUV and has great FE too.Only price and five seat are an issue that people feel as its drawbacks.
Actually, we are a big family who loves to travel together and Yeti can host only 4 comfortably. Second, I feel its grossly overpriced. And after having driven XUV so far, I feel if Yeti even had 3 rows and was priced at par with XUV, I wud have still gone with XUV...........well not just me, there are many more who feel the same as Yeti sells around 40 cars to 4,000 XUV's every mth at almost the same price point with all the discounts available on Yeti and premium goingt on XUV[;)]

As for TSI Laura, it's really no comparison, at this price, if I had to accommodate only 4-5 ppl, I wud have gone it over XUV even if it's a Petrol, honestly..........

Eh,leave it aside...I am just half in the age as compared to yours and same is with family stats.We are just 'two' and hence Yeti was simply the best car for us and same way Laura too worked wee for us.See,the car has already covered more than 66k kms and is still running very strong and can outrun even Accords and is keeping us more than happy.

About Yeti,its not that overpriced if you once check out what you get for your money.For 3-4 people who want a compact SUV with all the capabilities,I don't find anything better than Yeti.And after all its three cars in one body.
  • Its a big and very capable hatch for the city movers and for dense city roads or narrow roads.
  • Its a seden for those who want the comfort,performance,dynamics and FE of a sedan.
  • Its an SUV for those who want to go cross country in it tackling every sort of roads.

And yes,its electronics do not fail every second day!!!
IF THERE IS ANYTHING IN THE WORLD CALLED 'QUALITY' AND 'FLEXIBILITY',THEN 'YETI IS NOT THAT MUCH OVERPRICED'.And afterall,you are buying '3' cars at the price,or say each car for 6.33 lacs.

Debate no. 2 :How 'Yeti' is better than XUV?

Rest hats off to your love towards your XUV buddy,the last line written by you has said a lot...

Thread Starter #125
Eh,leave it aside...I am just half in the age as compared to yours and same is with family stats.We are just 'two' and hence Yeti was simply the best car for us and same way Laura too worked wee for us.See,the car has already covered more than 66k kms and is still running very strong and can outrun even Accords and is keeping us more than happy.

About Yeti,its not that overpriced if you once check out what you get for your money.For 3-4 people who want a compact SUV with all the capabilities,I don't find anything better than Yeti.And after all its three cars in one body.
  • Its a big and very capable hatch for the city movers and for dense city roads or narrow roads.
  • Its a seden for those who want the comfort,performance,dynamics and FE of a sedan.
  • Its an SUV for those who want to go cross country in it tackling every sort of roads.

And yes,its electronics do not fail every second day!!!
IF THERE IS ANYTHING IN THE WORLD CALLED 'QUALITY' AND 'FLEXIBILITY',THEN 'YETI IS NOT THAT MUCH OVERPRICED'.And afterall,you are buying '3' cars at the price,or say each car for 6.33 lacs.

Debate no. 2 :How 'Yeti' is better than XUV?

Rest hats off to your love towards your XUV buddy,the last line written by you has said a lot...
That's why I say Vipul, its very illogical to rate a car on the basis of 1 or 2 parameters alone. According to me, Laura TSI, Laura diesel, Yeti and XUV are absolutely 4 different segments.

Laura TSI- is for driving enthusiasts who don't care about FE or Skoda ASS

Laura Diesel- is for mainly chauffer-driven

Yeti- is more of a lifestyle-statement car, not for the masses

XUV- acc. to me, comes nearest to perfection for those with big families, who
aren't satisfied with a Safari, Scorpio or even an Innova but can't afford a Captiva or a Fortuner. It is an altogether different segment but fills all the aspirations of those looking for a decent SUV at a very decent price.[:)]

Thread Starter #127
Well,let's leave it aside and tell me if you are going to post some new pics of your car or not?
Not now bro, but will post all pics with tour report after returning from our Chail-Shimla-Naldehra trip by the end of this month. I am particularly excited about this trip as it will be first time I will be driving my XUV in hills.

@LOVECARS:
Wow,that's great.In fact on the road to Shimla the XUV is going to give you real joy of driving.
It has more than enough power and torque to negotiate those roads.In fact I'd recommend you to cover entire hilly trip in second and third gear(no fourth until straight stretches arrive)only keeping the mHawk boiling..it will be funnnnnnn..

Thread Starter #129
@LOVECARS:
Wow,that's great.In fact on the road to Shimla the XUV is going to give you real joy of driving.
It has more than enough power and torque to negotiate those roads.In fact I'd recommend you to cover entire hilly trip in second and third gear(no fourth until straight stretches arrive)only keeping the mHawk boiling..it will be funnnnnnn..
Nice trip bro, do give any other trip U have for this journey as I will be covering such a hill-drive on SUV for 1st time, I had gone on this Kandaghat- Chail-Kufri road after some 10 years, that time, it was really narrow and quite bumpy and flying Road transport buses do make life hell on sharp, blind bends. going on 22nd for a week..

Buddy I have been there just once in my life and that too in Military school for bringing back my cousin brother's nephew as his parents were not at all happy leaving him there.
So neither I spent a single day there,nor I visited any places but just slept in the hotel(full nigh drive effect)after reaching there at about 9 am.
What I know is that when we left the Kalka-Shimla route at Kandaghat,till then everythign was okay and Innova was ruling but as soon as I was on the road to Chail,beign true it was not at all a road of my taste.
No doubt,the road is still narrow and is quite bumpy too,but don't worry..there is seriously negligible amount of traffic on that road.

About tips,haha..I am 19 and you are 38,just double.
Secondly I have been driving for last 5 years and you are doing for more than 20 years,my net experience is about 2 lac kms and yours is over 5 lac.Hence I don't think I can give you any special tip[:)].
The only tips I have are,keep on your side till kandaghat and after that be slow and cautious,the road is just driveable but is not for pressing on gas.No sudden throttle inputs at all especially when your SUV has power on front wheels and that is also quite high or say high enough to make them spin and loose traction on the loose soil or small stones.Take care of this tip,especially while climbing the high-spin turns.Especially the ones on which the outer side is just a gorge.
Don't believe your handbrake if in any case you bog down as the handbrake of XUV is on the weaker side(like most of the rear disc equipped cars)and hence use your main brakes and engine+gearbox for braking,moving ahead or even going slightly back in case you are bogged down.

BTW,its a coincidence that this month issue of ACI magazine has a Renukaji-Haripurdhar and Chail travelogue which is explained in quite detailed manner.I recommend you to go through that travelogue and in case you don't wanna go to market then PM me your address and I'll get the book either sent to your address by hand or courier.

Thread Starter #131
Arre yaar Vipul, man is never old or knowledgable enough to stop learning. U know so many things about XUV which I am sure I haven't got even faintest idea about. I will definitely keep all your tips in mind while driving XUV on those hills.

I have driven for 300 km from Rishikesh to Auli in one single stretch and Delhi-manali more than couple of times in a single day but that was on Ford Fusion which was a different cup of tea. I understand I have to be on slower side, avoid any major braking, take extra care at sharp curves, etc, that's why talking to an experienced pro, what if he is all of 18, should always be helpful.

I will definitely try to get that copy of ACI magazine at the earliest and yes, I am also using my spare time to search for all interesting places around Chail and Naldehra which we can visit. We will be there for almost a week, so time should not be a constraint. Thanks once again[:)]

Arre yaar Vipul, man is never old or knowledgable enough to stop learning. U know so many things about XUV which I am sure I haven't got even faintest idea about. I will definitely keep all your tips in mind while driving XUV on those hills.
Eh,it depends on the field of interest.You have interest in driving and hence you drive,I have in enjoying dynamics(That's the reason I am a sole SUV hater and Sedan lover[:D]) and hence I consider many things,but then it many times steal the joy of driving too..[cry]
My tips must not be followed completely.Why?
Because every person has a different driving style of his own and if the person tried to copy the style of other person then it arises danger,none else.Hence drive the way you feel it,the way your soul says to drive..as I say "Kho ke drive karo,drive karne ke liye drive karo(drive being lost,drive for driving)".
They are our normal everyday roads,only they are slightly narrower and have some more ascends and descends with a lot of full of fun winding corners to enjoy the dynamics of our car.

I have driven for 300 km from Rishikesh to Auli in one single stretch and Delhi-manali more than couple of times in a single day but that was on Ford Fusion which was a different cup of tea. I understand I have to be on slower side, avoid any major braking, take extra care at sharp curves, etc, that's why talking to an experienced pro, what if he is all of 18, should always be helpful.
Eh,I have neither driven the Fusion,nor I ever went for any ride in it,but just seen it from inside.XUV has far higher power and far lesser grip(Tyre size/grip to weight ratio is what I am talking of) on its front wheels as compared to Fusion.And dynamically the XUV can never match the Fusion but then the capabilities of XUV are different.
While going uphill the XUV is going to be a lot of fun and will easily eclipse the Fusion.Infact going uphill is the time you can enjoy the XUV at its best because the climbing car never looses grip that easily.But you will have to take care while coming downhill,but then you have an advantage of FWD.FWD cars are really great while coming downhill and offer great engine braking.
But yes,take care of momentum the XUV carries as compared to the Fusion and never take the risk of letting your tyres touch the edge of the road as you never know if the soil below is loose or are tough stones!!
Rest the road to Chail is somewhere like the one from Joshimath to Auli,only quality is lower.

I will definitely try to get that copy of ACI magazine at the earliest and yes, I am also using my spare time to search for all interesting places around Chail and Naldehra which we can visit. We will be there for almost a week, so time should not be a constraint. Thanks once again.
Definitely try to get that copy of magazine.
BTW,how about a even more joyful hilly trip?Should I tell you which trip I am talking of?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #133
Alright Vipul, I will not try to copy your style of driving and just be myself. All your tips are noted and will be duly followed[;)]

And yes, do tell which hill trip you are talking, then I will tell you whether I have done it or not.[;)]

^^Hehe,I am sure you will be shocked to read the name of the trip I am expecting you to do[;)].
But still,HAVE YOU HEARD OF ROHTANG PASS??
Its now officially open and you can make a Rohtang-Leh trip in that 7-8 days outing.You have got a good SUV and which is capable enough for this trip.
There is nothing in this Chail,Shimla etc etc.

Buddy being true,since the day I made this trip and saw the Kashmir..I don't like any place in India,there is no place like Kashmir.Definitely its the heaven on the earth.
I'd recommend you to give a serious thought to this trip and drop your Chail one,this will give you exceptional experience of driving on hills.
The only memory I have of our trip was:-
We were in the very first convoy which moved ahead from Rohtang and there was like a race between all the cars that which one will be in front following the snow remover and army trucks moving in front of the convoy.That day I first time in my life drove on snow covered roads..but when I started the trip I was just like a rookie on hills with the experience of our chaar dham and Jwala ji but till the end of the trip,I was like "Now I can drive on any road"..[clap]

Just take a friend of yours with you who knows driving and your family and move on buddy..

Last edited:
Thread Starter #135
Vipul, I was expecting U to say Rohtang Pass and U did. I went there 2 years back and climbed on my Fusion till about 4 km were left. The road was so bad and the gorge on my side so deep and with locals driving their 800's like men possesed, I was for the 1st time in my life 'scared'.
Remember, I am a 'family man' and once U too have your family, U will realize going to Rohtang Pass like place is strict no-no.
Maybe, 19 years back, at your age, I wud have taken the plunge but not now. In fact, one of our family friends, a Sardarji, had been pestering me to take this very trip till Leh but I politely refused him. No question of taking any chances.
We Drs have a very monotonous schedule and just a break from monotony is enough to re-charge our batteries. In fact, driving pleasure isn't even a matter with me, I will only luv to reach my quitest of destinations and play with my lovely kids, be it at Chail or Naldehra.
I have got bookings at most exotic of places and they shud be thrill enough for me.
After taking tips from U, now one tip U should take from me- Speed thrills, but kills. Never take any unwarranted risks on road since life is precious.[;)]

Top Bottom