Let's Talk About Bicycling!

Apart from the New Car (Grand i10), One Motorbike I have a Bike Trek 7.1 which i use for commuting.
I used to commute on my Biachi for 26 kms one side a day from residence to my site , but now as I handle 2-3 sites cant go on my Trek 7.1.
Now I try to make at least 20kms a day with Trek
Both are pretty good Hybrid Bikes
Edit: On Motorbike the time took to go to office was 1Hr 30 Mins and on my bike (Bianchi/Trek) it is 1Hr 15Mins for a ride of 26 kms in heavy traffic of Hyderabad

Attachments

Last edited:
Hello TAIgers,

Nice to see members response on this post. I am too fond of cycling although currently I don't have a bicycle. I am interested in buying it. Some of my requirement are

- Type : Road with straight handle bar
- Budget at max Rs. 40,000
- Ready to import if available online
- Preferably Alloy frame; if possible CARBON at within my budget would be a nice [;)].

I am not interested in mountain or BMX category. Hybrid wouldn't be on my list since I will be using it on highways for long trips [say around 100 KMS].

Thread Starter #34
Hello TAIgers,

Nice to see members response on this post. I am too fond of cycling although currently I don't have a bicycle. I am interested in buying it. Some of my requirement are

- Preferably Alloy frame; if possible CARBON at within my budget would be a nice [;)].

I am not interested in mountain or BMX category. Hybrid wouldn't be on my list since I will be using it on highways for long trips [say around 100 KMS].
Good to see this post alive again. I have been cycling a lot as usual and now even fitter.

The cheapest road bikes I came across are Trek 1.1 (Rs. 43,000), Decathlon Triban 3 (Rs. 44,999), Gaint SCR2 (around 45K), Scott speadster 60 (around 40k). These are all good ones.
Cycle Prices in India | Road Hybrid MTB BMX Bikes | New Bicycles

Check this link for your reference.

Carbon frame ones will start from 1.5 Lakhs. So its lil over your budget:) There is a BOTS shop in Pune. Try visiting that one and have some test rides to suit your needs. And you can always change straight bars.

Happy riding:)

Hello TAIgers,

Cycle Prices in India | Road Hybrid MTB BMX Bikes | New Bicycles

Hi A Cyclist,

Just 4 days back i bought a Hercules canyon. I am starting cycling after a decade and also this is my first geared cycle. Now i am just learning how to shift gears properly.

While shifting gears i am facing the following issues:

1. Frequently rear derailleur misses gear. Say, i push the gear lever to downshift from 7 to 6. But the chain will not shift from 7th to 6th, it will stay in 7th. If i push the gear lever again the chain will shift from 7th to 5th missing the 6th slot. While up shifting no issue.

2. When i push the from derailleur gear to up shift from 2nd to 3rd chain ring, the stiffing is not at all smooth. It gives a huge jerk and noise and the bike losses its stability.

Please help me out [cry] (Request: while replying please bear in mind that this is my first geared cycle and i am a newbie)

Hi A Cyclist,

Just 4 days back i bought a Hercules canyon. I am starting cycling after a decade and also this is my first geared cycle. Now i am just learning how to shift gears properly.

1. Frequently rear derailleur misses gear. Say, i push the gear lever to downshift from 7 to 6. But the chain will not shift from 7th to 6th, it will stay in 7th. If i push the gear lever again the chain will shift from 7th to 5th missing the 6th slot. While up shifting no issue.

2. When i push the from derailleur gear to up shift from 2nd to 3rd chain ring, the stiffing is not at all smooth. It gives a huge jerk and noise and the bike losses its stability.

Please help me out [cry] (Request: while replying please bear in mind that this is my first geared cycle and i am a newbie)
Hi DJD,
While shifting the gears you need to pedal constantly, if you stop pedaling they wont shift.

What is the combination you are using?
Go through these
How to Shift a Bicycle: Beginner's Guide | Bicycling Magazine

1. Know Your Numbers

On the handlebars of a 21-speed bike (the most typical), you'll see a left-side shift lever with the numbers 1, 2 and 3, and a right-side shift lever with 1 through 7. The lever on the left controls the three chainrings on your front derailleur, and drastically change how easy or hard it is to pedal. The lever on the right controls the cluster of chainrings on your back derailleur and helps you make slight adjustments to your ride.

2. Use The Right Combos

"If you're climbing a steep hill, opt for lower gears—the 1 on the left side combined with 1 to 4 on the right," says Joanne Thompson, owner and manager of Bike Station Aptos in Aptos, California. "If pedaling feels way too easy, switch to a higher gear—the 3 on the left side combined with 4 to 7 on the right—to help you go faster." For everyday flat-road riding, she recommends sticking with the middle gear (the 2) on your left-side shifter and using the full range of gears on your right to fine-tune.

3. Shift Early, Shift Often

"Anticipate the road ahead and shift gears before a hill, just like you would in a manual-transmission car," says Thompson. (Make sure to ease into gears, because if you make huge jumps—like clicking from the 1 on your left-hand shifter to the 3—your chain might slip off your bike.) "There's no such thing as shifting too often, so frequently change gears to find a cadence that's not too hard or easy," she says. "Soon you'll be able to do it without thinking."
From Bike Shifting 101 | ACTIVE

Watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyXHEz9ShQM

Last edited:
thank you Badri for the reply. It is really helpful, I appreciate that.

Regarding shifting issues i went through some you tube videos and adjusted the front and rear derailleurs. Now rear derailleur is working perfectly, shifting all the cogs smoothly. Front derailleur is also fine except one issue: it is not downshifting to 1st chain ring. I guess i will have to adjust the cable tension. what do you say?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #39
Hi A Cyclist,

Really glad to know that you started cycling again. 3 Cheers to that:) And congratulations on your bike. A lot of smiles ahead of you and respect from others.
And thank you @Badri.j for some really handy points and the video. Cheers to that as well.
When comes to shifting gears, miss shifting happens a lot and for several reasons.

#could be the chain assembly or the derailleur is dirty
if this is the case, a quick service at the local shop will help. Or you can do DIY.

#Gear cables are weak
this usually happens when you have crossed 800-1000KMs of riding, (again depends on the types of cycles as well) which definitely is not the case with your bike as you mentioned you just bought 4 days back. If this happens, i recon replacement of the cables.

#and the most common reason-human error
This happens to almost all riders at all levels. First timers/experience riders.
Since, you are riding the geared bicycle for the first time, missed shifting happens a lot as you need to first understand the mechanism shifting the gears. (Badi.j's points explains here).

Hercules Canyon has 21 gears in total. 3 on the front and 7 on the back. Normally, front gears are on the left side and the back gears are on the right side.

Here are some tips from my personal experience:
# Do not shift gears very often.
# Try 2(front)-4(back) gear combination for most city rides. But again, if you feel heaviness when pedaling, lower the front gear to 1. Or if you want faster speed, increase the back gear to 5,6 or 7. But as you gain more experience, you can play around with any gear shifting.
# While shifting gears, stop pedaling for 2 seconds and shift. This will shift the gears smoothly and also avoids chain getting stuck.
# For steep uphill climb, lower all the gears and pedal slowly. Maintain at 5 km/hr speed and keep pedaling. Find the rhythm, avoid sudden pedaling as it will drain your energy very quickly.
# For speeding on tarmac road, use 7*3 gear combination (highest gears)
# For long distance rides, use 2*4 or 5 combination.
# Always wear protective gears

Hope this helps. And let me know if you have more questions.

Happy riding:)

Last edited:
Thread Starter #42
Thanks 'A Cyclist' for further points.
The cadence is important,for futher discussions this is best forum BikesZone Cycling Forum
The reason I started this cycling topic on TAI is to promote cycling among the TAI members. So lets discuss it here. Any discussions, any doubts, any topics related to cycling, I want it to continue here so that the members start adopting this hobby. Its not only good for himself, it is also a favor to the environment. Let the other forums have their own discussions. Take references from other forums and get ideas and expert knowledge but I want continuation of this topic as well. I hope we are supporting each other in promoting cycling here too.

Happy cycling.

The reason I started this cycling topic on TAI is to promote cycling among the TAI members. So lets discuss it here. Any discussions, any doubts, any topics related to cycling, I want it to continue here so that the members start adopting this hobby. Its not only good for himself, it is also a favor to the environment. Let the other forums have their own discussions. Take references from other forums and get ideas and expert knowledge but I want continuation of this topic as well. I hope we are supporting each other in promoting cycling here too.

Happy cycling.
Hi, My intention is not to send people from here, just helping out for more inputs and discussions. As this site is mostly for Automotive, its like a preschool for Cycles, but University for Cars and Bikes.

Hello TAIgers,

Replying to my earlier comments,

I have shortlisted few of the bicycles,

- BTWIN VELO ROUTE FIT 700
- Mongoose Artery Comp
- Firefox Road Pro Street

Although all belong to wide range of different price tag. Please comment.

Thread Starter #45
Replying to my earlier comments,

I have shortlisted few of the bicycles,

- BTWIN VELO ROUTE FIT 700
- Mongoose Artery Comp
- Firefox Road Pro Street

Although all belong to wide range of different price tag. Please comment.
Out of the 3 bikes, my suggestion would be the BTWIN. Never consider Firefox bikes as their frames have a lot of issues. I have not personally tried Mongoose, so I cannot comment on that one.

Top Bottom