Hyundai ix25 Compact SUV Named Creta

Got call from the dealer almost 5 times today. I have asked him to put it on hold, as price was insane. Totally confused on what to purchase, looks like I will end up in 'city' :)

Well, Hyundai now becomes next Honda!! [:D]

While I understand Hyundai did a good job with the product and they have every right to price the product as they wish, but they forget one thing. Difference between confidence and arrogance! With about 60k(for base and S)-1 Lakh(for other variants) lesser, this sure would have been a VFM deal. Only way Hyundai will realize it's blunder is when Creta fetch 2nd place in sales chart next to Duster.

On the other hand, I have different thought. May Hyundai did this intentionally? Did they wanted to create another segment which is already crowded? Like between Ecosport/Duster and XUV? Even in this case, the pricing should have been 40-70k lesser. With the kinda pricing for SX(O) and SX+ AT, I can get XUV easily. Which is a proper SUV in terms of space, GC, handling etc. Creta is nothing but taller, butch-looking, loaded Verna with handling and other stuff sorted out. It no way commands such premium pricing, unless Hyundai did this intentionally!

Whatever it is, with all recent launches one thing is very clear. Car's are indeed becoming costlier and for me, it looks like initially they release VFM products and take some loss, and at later stage they do such things to gain what they lost. I don't know about it for sure, but going by the latest trend it looks like so!
No need to worry, my friend.. There are many others like you including me. Let's wait for six months and we will have many better option. By that time there will be a realization in Hyundai as well.

Hyundai Creta with proper airbags model costs above 13lac (on-road) in both petrol and diesel variant. If someone is paying that much, he will definitely look forwards for safety too.
So, tell me a single reason why he will opt for Creta over powerful Mahindra XUV 5OO W4 base model (that comes with airbags) for less than 13lac price?

Last edited:
Eddy,
i think one cant look at the price alone. there are people who prefer 5 seater vehicle to 7 seater vehicle. i think both these cater to different type of customers.

Hyundai Creta with proper airbags model costs above 13lac (on-road) in both petrol and diesel variant. If someone is paying that much, he will definitely look forwards for safety too.
So, tell me a single reason why he will opt for Creta over powerful Mahindra XUV 5OO W4 base model (that comes with airbags) for less than 13lac price?

Until I get my hands on the car, I will refrain from commenting. It's not just about features, there is something called overall product quality too and quality never comes cheap. Ask an Innova owner who would have spared 14 lac for a G variant and havent got even an ICE system. All in all, I will wait to ch ck one thoroughly and then only can decide if its priced right or not. Terrano and Duster IMO are overpriced kids by up to 50k to one lac for all they offer.
But yes, for this stupid money; I'd prefer to have at least a RWD setup. And having a current gen Scorpio as amongst my daily drives, I am already addicted to the aggressive throttle responses of the SUV; something that nothing under 30 lac can match, not even the XUV.
All in all, I am unable to find a reason for why I won't put a lac further and buy a Scorpio S10 4*4 instead of buying a top end Creta. In fact the Scorpio also has got a proper 6 speed automatic too and mHawk is an engine that has a very well spread torque making it very suitable for automatic tranny; be it in terms or economy or in terms of performance.

Until I get my hands on the car, I will refrain from commenting. It's not just about features, there is something called overall product quality too and quality never comes cheap. Ask an Innova owner who would have spared 14 lac for a G variant and havent got even an ICE system. All in all, I will wait to ch ck one thoroughly and then only can decide if its priced right or not. Terrano and Duster IMO are overpriced kids by up to 50k to one lac for all they offer.
But yes, for this stupid money; I'd prefer to have at least a RWD setup. And having a current gen Scorpio as amongst my daily drives, I am already addicted to the aggressive throttle responses of the SUV; something that nothing under 30 lac can match, not even the XUV.
All in all, I am unable to find a reason for why I won't put a lac further and buy a Scorpio S10 4*4 instead of buying a top end Creta. In fact the Scorpio also has got a proper 6 speed automatic too and mHawk is an engine that has a very well spread torque making it very suitable for automatic tranny; be it in terms or economy or in terms of performance.
Totally agreed. Hyundai has priced the Creta at such a scale that there are a number of equivalent or better options. Scorpio S10 4WD is another example.
Someone who prefers all round performance over so-called premium-ness, will go for it.
Looking at this, the initial speculative frenzy and the sheer disappointment of enthusiasts post the actual launch (Across various fora) , I get a sense that Hyundai launched the Creta a bit too late. They should have launched it around the time the Ecosport was launched. That would have made it a more viable option, would have made sense in a 7.5-13 lac regime (back in 2013) , and would have taken either captured or expanded the SUV market further. Now, they have kind of locked themselves up with the pricing. Competitors will undercut their products by 30-60K, which Hyundai cannot atleast for the next 3-6 months, and then there is the S Cross.
A slightly roomier and equally powerful alternative, albeit with lesser boot space.
In fact I am beginning to think the S Cross 1.6 will eat into Creta 1.6sales !
The only area where Creta has little or no competition is in the petrol category.

Eddy,
i think one cant look at the price alone. there are people who prefer 5 seater vehicle to 7 seater vehicle. i think both these cater to different type of customers.
Depends on how you look at it. XUV is really a default 5 seater and occasional 7 seven seater.

As opposed to lets say, a regular 7 seater like Innova or Lodgy (with usable boot space). Aside from some niggling issues and problems related to sheer size (and fuel economy perhaps) , XUV is every bit a more useful offering. Especially W8.
I for one, chose the Duster because of the size constraints and better occupant ride comfort. Otherwise XUV was very much in my list.

Creta is made up of HIGH TENSILE STEEL which is 2.5 times more tensile strength
than ordinary steel also 60% costlier than ordinary steel.

NB:I do not justify the highly priced Creta.

Creta crashes ....

http://www.motoroids.com/news/hyundai-creta-crashes-even-before-deliveries-commence/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Motoroids+%28Motoroids%29[/URL]

Totally agreed. Hyundai has priced the Creta at such a scale that there are a number of equivalent or better options. Scorpio S10 4WD is another example.
Someone who prefers all round performance over so-called premium-ness, will go for it.
Looking at this, the initial speculative frenzy and the sheer disappointment of enthusiasts post the actual launch (Across various fora) , I get a sense that Hyundai launched the Creta a bit too late. They should have launched it around the time the Ecosport was launched. That would have made it a more viable option, would have made sense in a 7.5-13 lac regime (back in 2013) , and would have taken either captured or expanded the SUV market further. Now, they have kind of locked themselves up with the pricing. Competitors will undercut their products by 30-60K, which Hyundai cannot atleast for the next 3-6 months, and then there is the S Cross.
A slightly roomier and equally powerful alternative, albeit with lesser boot space.
In fact I am beginning to think the S Cross 1.6 will eat into Creta 1.6sales !
The only area where Creta has little or no competition is in the petrol category.
There are four ways of justifying the ridiculous pricing:
  • Loooong list of features (Like Hyundai had before)
  • A strong name in quality and reliability (Like Toyota and Honda)
  • An exceptionally different and good vehicle (Maybe GT TSi)
  • A premium feel which nothing can match

Now let me pick all the points one after another:
Loooong list of features: Hyundai has already lost this USP of theirs and some cars even at the lower price do offer some features which Creta isn't having.

A strong name in quality and reliability: Hyundai never had this reputation associated with them. Instead people can be found complaining about their engines and mechanicals in long run. Personally, the top five most reliable engines I have seen till date are:
  • Toyota 2.5 and 3.0 D-4D, I have seen these engine going upto 3-4 lac kms untouched in Innovas and Fortuners
  • Renault 1.5 K9K, I have seen this engine going upto 3 lac or even more untouched in Logans and once in a Duster 85 ps which was being used as a cab for airport pick ups and drops.
  • Toyota 1.4 D-4D, I have seen the cars with 2.5 lac+ on odo and engine still untouched.
  • Mahindra 2.5 and 2.6 CRDe, many examples can be seen with 2 lac+ on odo with engine untouched and still going strong.
  • Tata 1.4 TDi, the engine in Indigo CS TDi, Vista TDi and Indica turbo. MAny examples can be seen with 2 lac+ on odo without being untouched
All other engines including our national engine IMO are still way behind these oil burners which are simply the most reliable workhorses.

And some of the most mechanically sound/long lasting UV's which I have seen till date are:
  • Entry Level SUV: Mahindra Bolero, I call it indispensable workhorse.
  • Compact SUV: Renault Duster/Nissan Terrano closely followed by Ford Ecosport (Can't say about its engine reliability though)
  • Mid Level SUV: Mahindra Scorpio, actually nothing else will do.
  • Premium SUV: Mitsubishi Pajero (SFX) and Toyota Fortuner
  • MUV: Toyota Innova followed by Mahindra Xylo

In any list there isn't the name of any Hyundai, so the Hyundai IMO is not having this reputation too.

Remaining two factors don't require much of the discussion, except the premium feel which the Creta has got but that is also not much enough to compromise all other factors.

who really decides if the product is over priced?

Reviewers? Customers? Bloggers?

Instead of going on about pricing, why dont we look at product as a package? If you like the package, pay the price demanded.

If the price of the package is having doubts in your mind, then, you dont really like the package at all.[;)]

Well, the truth is that if the customer wants to put their money on the vehicle then it goes hit; no matter if its overpriced or not. Innova, Corolla and Fortuner are its classic examples; all three are ruling their respective segments just because of the badge on their nose and of course proven mechanicals.
If people put their money on Creta, then it will be a hit; no matter if its overpriced or not.

Reviewers? Customers? Bloggers?

Instead of going on about pricing, why dont we look at product as a package? If you like the package, pay the price demanded.

If the price of the package is having doubts in your mind, then, you dont really like the package at all.[;)]
The only thing this package has is an AT D Small SUV everything else in this car is secondary, they know there is nothing in the segment that's why they are charging Premium till others catch up!

Hai all,

This is my first post in this forum. I need your views about purchasing creta.
I am currently an hyundai i10 owner running the vehicle from past 6 years. My experience with Hyundai sales , service and maintenance was good till now.
So I was eagerly waiting for creta from past 3-4 months. After the pricing is released i have small dilemma now.

Creta version which I had selected is 1.6 VTVT Base petrol. Reason is my usage is low. my i10 has just driven 30K in past 6 years.
Now confusion is between Hyundai creta Base petrol or Ford Ecosport trend petrol(not eco boost).

I had test driven creta and ecosport both. pick up wise i felt creta is far ahead of ecosport.
Pricing of creta is 10.5 OTR Bangalore and ecosport is 9.6 OTR Bangalore.
Feature wise both are almost same(compared brouchers).
90K pricing difference for looks and bit more space inside and after sales advantage of creta?Is this OK?

So can you suggest me which one is better among above two?
Am I missing some points?

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/indian-auto-sector/22603-why-not-buy-hyundai-creta.html

@ chappi - take a look at this thread and you will see that petrol creta has even less features than the verna 4s. If you want a hyundai go for the verna , it has more features and space. Creta is waste of money at this price.

There are some discounts going on by the company and i think verna has 30k exchange bonus. 35k if you replace your i10 from them plus atleast 20k cash discounts and you get a whole lot of extra useful features.

Last edited:
Thanks allhyundaicars for your response.

My main requirement after having i10 was highway ride was not so smooth in i10.
Want to upgrade the engine as at some point even road is free i10 says I am done due to engine limitations.
And good Ground clearance to have better ride quality on bad patches on almost all roads in my native.

So ruled out sedans(I have almost 10 speed breakers from my home to office where Amaze had touched many times. so I think verna will feel pain daily.). My only options were EcoSport, Duster and Creta.
After riding i10 I felt duster interiors are not so good and duster looks are also not so liked at home. and Base duster has not even ABS and priced almost equivalant to creta so ruled out. left with ecosport and creta.

I read at many places that pricing of ecosport is OK. (or I am wrong)If this is true by above comparision 90K for good engine and great looks should be OK or not?

Last edited:
Chappididheeaj for 90K extra you are getting a bigger car with better looks with a better engine and ABS. You will probably get lesser mileage.

But Creta definitely looks better and is more spacious than Ecosport.

You may want to consider Ecosport 1.5P titanium which has ABS and Airbags for nearly the same price as the base Creta.

Top Bottom