Now Need Advice on Head-Unit

i just need usb nothing else.
Then you can select the Pio 4190.

i dont want to add another amp because adding another amp is not a good idea IMO so i just want to stick with 1 amp and if i add another woofer then i will power them with my jbl 4ch amp and all 4 speakers with hu.
Bad idea. Just imagine- You will have two subs & both of them are amplified. All your four speakers are unamplified. as i said before, all you will hear is boom boom without any music or vocals. So take this as a golden rule- if you are having a sub, do amplify your speakers too, so that the bass line does not overshadow the vocals.

i am stick to my jbl ready made box but just thinking about a sony box it had a 15 inch woofer.
Just dont go by the specs. the difference in the bass of the sony & JBL sub would be minor.

as i said above i wont add another amp i think 2 rca is just fine for me.what you say.
yes, you are right.

i find you a GREAT HELP raj thanks a ton.
no mention. just sharing whatever little bit of knowledge i have.

what is the mrp.,market price and model no. of basic jbl comps?
Last heard, JBL 608C comps costs 4.5k.

what is the role of crossovers in comps?
a song consists of 3 frequencies - high, mid & low. Low frequencies are played by your sub, mid frequencies are played by your midbasses (speakers) while high frequencies are played by your tweeters.

So what the crossover does is- it seperates the frequencies in the song, that is, highs to the tweeters & mids to the midbass speakers. in other words, it allows the installer to adjust the frequency filters. a crossover helps in a great way to improve sound quality & thats the reason i insist on component speakers.

is it worth to go for a comps without crossovers?
crossover come in the same package, with comps. hence comps are expensive compared to co-axials.

btw what is the mrp of your Vtrek comps?
Vtrek comps are not easily available. It costed me Rs. 2800 looooong back. Now it may cost around 3.5k. So its worth adding 1k more & buying JBL!

You may want to go through this thread-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/car-entertainment/1949-basic-info-ice.html

Thread Starter #32
@ raj what is the diffrence between pio 4190 and 4290sd???what is the price diffrence?

i will not add another sub.because i feel adding 2 amp to my car i not good for car and battery.i dont want to overload them.

maybe you are right about sony sub but someone who using or heard this sony sub may throw some more light.:please:

JBL 608C comps costs 4.5k. market price?then what is the mrp.?

can we change some settings on this crossover???just like we do in amp.

crossover come in the same package, with comps. hence comps are expensive compared to co-axials.

then what you say about JBL GT5-S265C??? here India JBL

Last edited:
@ raj what is the diffrence between pio 4190 and 4290sd???what is the price diffrence?
As far as i can see, 4190 has a 3 band eq whereas 4290 has a 5 band eq, so 4290 is a better choice. price difference would be minor. no idea about the exact prices as it varies from place to place & also time!

JBL 608C comps costs 4.5k. market price?then what is the mrp.?
i think mrp is 4900. prices may vary dude. the best way to know about prices is to ask your installer. we can only give an approximate pricing.

can we change some settings on this crossover???just like we do in amp.
yes. look at the pic below. the screws marked by red circle are meant for tuning. a good installer can tune well.

component-speaker 1.jpg

then what you say about JBL GT5-S265C??? here India JBL
it has a 50W RMS compared to 70W RMS in 608C. 608C is more popular.

one friendly advice: dont get too involved in the specs & exact prices. they vary like anything. ultimately, its the sound that the product delivers that matters. in comps or sub, dont look at the max RMS/power values always. they matter when you play the music at full blast, that is, 90-100% of the max volume. how often would you do that? if you do that often, in any case, you would blow up your sub or comps soon!

i was getting 100W RMS Ground Zero comps for the same price of a 70W RMS Illusions electras. i opted for the illusions & believe me, i am very happy. i feel GZ comps is no match for it.

Boston Comps. are way better than jBL comps. That too at the same price. That's why I went in for Boston Comps.
very true. but i believe he should get the boston comps at the said price. since he has a tight budget, i recommended the safest & most easily available product.

Thread Starter #36
raj_5004;48744]As far as i can see, 4190 has a 3 band eq whereas 4290 has a 5 band eq, so 4290 is a better choice. price difference would be minor. no idea about the exact prices as it varies from place to place & also time!

ok so 4290 is batter then 4190 thanks.

i think mrp is 4900. prices may vary dude. the best way to know about prices is to ask your installer. we can only give an approximate pricing.

no i just wanted to know the mrp. beacuse i cant find them in jbl's website.

yes. look at the pic below. the screws marked by red circle are meant for tuning. a good installer can tune well.

View attachment 10244

it has a 50W RMS compared to 70W RMS in 608C. 608C is more popular.

no my point is in jbl's website i saw crossovers with 608c but i m
unable to see them with GT5-S265C, but you said all comps come with crossovers,thats why i want to know GT5-S265C comes with or without crossovers.

one friendly advice: dont get too involved in the specs & exact prices. they vary like anything. ultimately, its the sound that the product delivers that matters. in comps or sub, dont look at the max RMS/power values always. they matter when you play the music at full blast, that is, 90-100% of the max volume. how often would you do that? if you do that often, in any case, you would blow up your sub or comps soon!

i agree with you i m too involved in specs and price because i am on very tight budget and its very hard earn money so dont want to waste a single rupee.what i want is cheap and best most vfm.i read your post not only in this forum but other too,you changed your amp woofer speakers andso meny things but i cant do all those things.maybe after some time you will change your hu or your rear Vtrek comps,please dont take me wrong just want to tell you my position is not as good as yours.and in kolkata u wont belive 1 shopkeeper quote me s644 for 4800 without b/w while other quote me 7700 with b/w and i bought same for Rs6300 with b/w.so i am not able to trust these shopkeepers.i dont go beyond 75% volume of my hu while amp's gain and bass boost and crossover are kept below 50% range.i find these settings safe maybe they are not best but still safe.what you say?

i was getting 100W RMS Ground Zero comps for the same price of a 70W RMS Illusions electras. i opted for the illusions & believe me, i am very happy. i feel GZ comps is no match for it.

i agree with you on this thats why i choose jbl for both amp and woofer i think it was safe bet.

Last edited:
Yes even i would suggest you to avoid a second sub. I have seen some cars showing -off with just one-subwoofer. If you get your setup right , one sub is more than enough IMO. Besides having two will be too much on the rear seat passengers!

Go for good quality wiring , good enclosures , and a good HU.

And first i would suggest you go for a HU upgrade along with good quality wires. I think you will get your desired output with new HU itself , but would have to compromise on vocals a bit!

no my point is in jbl's website i saw crossovers with 608c but i m
unable to see them with GT5-S265C, but you said all comps come with crossovers,thats why i want to know GT5-S265C comes with or without crossovers.
it has to come with a crossover, maybe its not shown in the pic.

see the specs in the website-

JBL GT5-S265C

2-Way Component Systems

* Proprietary Plus One« cones
* Vented woofer motor structure
* Titanium-laminate tweeter
* Edge-driven tweeters (component systems)
* Outboard crossovers (component systems)
* Improved I-Moun™ (patent no. 5,859,917) tweeter-mounting system
i agree with you i m too involved in specs and price because i am on very tight budget and its very hard earn money so dont want to waste a single rupee.what i want is cheap and best most vfm.i read your post not only in this forum but other too,you changed your amp woofer speakers andso meny things but i cant do all those things.maybe after some time you will change your hu or your rear Vtrek comps,please dont take me wrong just want to tell you my position is not as good as yours.
i wont. i agree i have done lot of mistakes & finally learnt from it!

now i wont be changing anything because this is what i wanted! now i am saving money for alloys!

i dont go beyond 75% volume of my hu while amp's gain and bass boost and crossover are kept below 50% range.i find these settings safe maybe they are not best but still safe.what you say?
with an properly tuned amp, you wont need to go beyond 30% of max volume in your HU.

+1 to Raj's last statement. In my old HU my volume levels will be around 25-30 but with the new one i hardly go beyond 6!

Thread Starter #40
Yes even i would suggest you to avoid a second sub. I have seen some cars showing -off with just one-subwoofer. If you get your setup right , one sub is more than enough IMO. Besides having two will be too much on the rear seat passengers!

agree with you dhaya even I have seen some cars showing -off with just one-woofer but that is not a basic sub woofer like mine.they use hi-fi woofers just like raj have GZ sub they are just great.btw when i play music in my car most of the i am just alone to enjoy my music.

Go for good quality wiring , good enclosures , and a good HU.

wiring is not upto the mark and i will change them after few months,befor that i want to change my HU first.and what can i say about enclosure i got a jbl cs1204b subwofer bass box.i can just hope its a good enclosure.

And first i would suggest you go for a HU upgrade along with good quality wires. I think you will get your desired output with new HU itself , but would have to compromise on vocals a bit!
ya right even now my first upgrade is a new HU.btw i dont mind a little compromise on vocals if i am geting enough bass.[evil]

Well you are just like me when it comes to ICE , first change your HU and i think you must be satisfied with the improved Bass effect!

Thread Starter #42
it has to come with a crossover, maybe its not shown in the pic.

see the specs in the website-

thanks raj.

i wont. i agree i have done lot of mistakes & finally learnt from it!

we all learn from mistakes but now you are on right track and for that you have to pay more.that why i choose jbl 4ch amp,sony 4ch amp was more then Rs.1500 cheaper but i was not sure about sony's sound quality.

now i wont be changing anything because this is what i wanted! now i am saving money for alloys!

this is the diffrence,even i want alloys but have no vitamin M.

with an properly tuned amp, you wont need to go beyond 30% of max volume in your HU.

i agree with even after installation 50% volume was enough but i did some diffrence in amp setting because my woofer and oval jbl was really loud but my front 5'' ultimate was so weak i can hardly hear them.and now i gave to turn volume high in my HU but i can hera my front speaker and now there is a little sound stage.
its worth insatalling copos without damping???

Pioneer 5250 / 5290 is a good choice of HU. It comes along with USB/SD & 3 - preouts with 5v out! which is good. future proof.

Top Bottom