My New Honda City in White - The Albus

Thread Starter #241

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
cannot wait for my shark fin antenna also...hopefully it will arrive soon...[:D] thanks to you Sir.
SHARK FIN ANTENNA

sapidin

Some more information for you in advance:

I know you would be eagerly waiting for your Shark Fin Antenna.

1. The adhesive is original 3M and no issue at all. But while pasting, you should be careful in selecting the surface so that the mild curve base of antenna exactly sit on the room top.

2. Before peeling off the tape cover strip, place the antenna, mark with a color crayon, get satisfied the center position on all sides. And then proceed.

3. Better do it @ warm time and keep pressing it at least one minute. Height will be a problem keep a stool ready.

4. While screwing the SF antenna screw, put some WD40 spray to avoid oxidation of contact in future and correctly screw it.

5. FM is very good and not muted or deteriorated.

6. Hope you have not forgotten to mention the correct color while ordering.

To get it , It took almost 25 days for me & 35 days for my other friends respectively.

Be patient.

Last edited:
SHARK FIN ANTENNA

sapidin

Some more information for you in advance:

I know you would be eagerly waiting for your Shark Fin Antenna.

1. The adhesive is original 3M and no issue at all. But while pasting, you should be careful in selecting the surface so that the mild curve base of antenna exactly sit on the room top.

2. Before peeling off the tape cover strip, place the antenna, mark with a color crayon, get satisfied the center position on all sides. And then proceed.

3. Better do it @ warm time and keep pressing it at least one minute. Height will be a problem keep a stool ready.

4. While screwing the SF antenna screw, put some WD40 spray to avoid oxidation of contact in future and correctly screw it.

5. FM is very good and not muted or deteriorated.

6. Hope you have not forgotten to mention the correct color while ordering.

To get it , It took almost 25 days for me & 35 days for my other friends respectively.

Be patient.

thanks again for this useful tips..such a detail steps..[clap]
Btw, the parcel has reached post office near my house this morning..expecting to get it by today or tomorrow..less than 2 weeks time..[:D]

Hello again Dr. Mudan,
I m currently researching on Parking sensors and reverse camera.
From Honda parking sensors are fpr - 5500 and reverse camera is - 9500.
However i have found few good ones online which are half the price like this one- Worldtech 4 3

I can see from one of your pics that you indeed have parking sensors in your Albus.
Kindly advice should i get it done from Honda or outside and its effect on warranty etc.
Thanks.

Thread Starter #244

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
PART XXIX:

THE NEED FOR REVERSE PARKING SYSTEMS:

car parking 03.jpg

I can’t imagine a car today without a reverse sensor!

It is a must have which I missed in my earlier cars.

Yes. I got it in my ALBUS, provided by the Dealer as freebie @ purchase.

Mine is a RVM clip on, 4 sensors type with human voice alert but without camera or led display.

The dealer team did all their gimmick to pass it on to me the cheap ‘on dash board’ buzzer type.

I insisted and got it, the one I wanted - mirror type with human voice alert.

I expected XENOS make but got the TORQ T-103V LED RVM with voice.

No issues, except its mounting on original RVM started giving vibration. First, I thought that the seating was imperfect, tried to correct it by providing a layer of foam in between but failed. I found it later that its glass and the holding frame had a small gap, I arrested it by putting a binder clip.

Even if you go for a camera type, complement with sensors & voice alert. I have come across that the camera gets damaged very easily during rain / water wash & needs replacement. It is better go with some brand like BLACKCAT, XENOS, AUTOCOP , RD etc., with warranty support. WORLDTECH is also very good brand which I have seen & cheaper.

The truth is that all most all of them are China make only.

Choose the one according to your need:

Dashboard Standalone type / Dashboard Standalone monitor type / Mirror clip on type

Display VFD (Variable Fluorescent Display) & may be LED / LCD / TFT in case of monitors.

Without USB

With USB / AV in / BT

Only with parking sensors

Reverse Camera with or without Parking Sensors

With wires / Wire free Wi-Fi

Or a GPS navigator with these facility.

car parking 01.jpg

car parking 02.jpg

Before ordering online, checkup the availability with local reputed auto stores, price may be less.

Regarding HONDA, both camera & sensors are not value for money.

I thought they would provide me Honda brand as freebie. But dealers save money by providing only the aftermarket brands.

BLACKCAT brand, preferred by Honda I understand which comes as standard in top Honda City variant. This can also be installed from outside at a cheaper price.

The wiring definitely needs a good auto electrician as the same is to be connected through ignition and not directly from battery. Checkup whether the dealer can help you, if not catch hold of a good auto electrician who have experience in this. Some brands like AUTOCOP , XENOS provide professional fitting.

According to HONDA or any car manufacture for that matter everything affects the warranty if any installation is not done by the authorized dealership or service center.

Newer systems are mostly plug and play so it should not be a problem. If not we can always get adapters that do not require cutting through any wires.

I prefer to go for parking sensors with voice alert. Whether you have sensors or cam, these can help you just 50% only and the rest you have to make good use of side rear view and inner rear view mirrors.

If you are not comfortable by putting an additional clip-on mirror over existing IRVM, go for the dash mountable display. Before buying, avoid some clip on IRVM displays which rattle at low speeds & show shaky image on display.

The six sensors type where the two meant for front, are useful in parallel parking when one has to really squeeze in to the closest to the pavement. Car owners who had front sensors have deactivated them within a week or two after purchase as the sound would be annoying in traffic prone bumper to bumper driving style.

Sensors give us a sound whose intensity increases as the object getting closer, camera gives us a picture of the object but then we have to judge the distance. Both have pros / cons.

Sensors sense anywhere between 1.5 meters to 10cm, depending upon the brand and the specification. Sometimes, some small objects cannot be detected. During rains also, some of them malfunction. The camera covers the area which neither mirror can, and can help you out with small things like a pavement, a small pole sticking out of the road etc. Some prefer Installing both .

Analyze everything and the choice is yours!

Last edited:
Adding to it,

I have installed TORQ reverse sensors with camera. costed me Rs.4500 on the whole. The kit comes with 1 year warranty. Camera displays in my ICE . I must say it works perfectly till date(5 months). The buzzor which tells about the distances didnt work fine for me after 2 months. I informed my seller. In a day's time, a guy from TORQ came to my home to replace a new one. (at trichy) . so after sales service of TORQ is the one to be mentioned for appreciation here . [clap]

Thread Starter #246

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Adding to it, I have installed TORQ reverse sensors with camera …. after sales service of TORQ is the one to be mentioned for appreciation here . [clap]
Yes. Inian. I am happy to own the brand. I am very happy to note about their after sales service.[clap]

Indeed , it makes it more reliable.

I give here with the picture of TORQ T-103V LED RVM with voice fitted in my ALBUS.

20140227_092555.jpg

20140227_092946.jpg

Yes. Inian. I am happy to own the brand. I am very happy to note about their after sales service.[clap]

Indeed , it makes it more reliable.

I give here with the picture of TORQ T-103V LED RVM with voice fitted in my ALBUS.

View attachment 128027

View attachment 128028
Awesome thread sir! I have a honda brio, which is the honda city's younger brother.

Do u think i can try some of the modifications u have done to ur city? Like the chrome ac rings, park sensors etc!!

Respectfully@ Ramu

Thread Starter #248

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Awesome thread sir! I have a honda brio ... some of the modifications ... Respectfully@ Ramu
Dear Ramu

It’s becoming very rare nowadays to note regards and respects from youngsters.

Thanks for your endearing words.

Why not? You can do it very well for your HB. Only thing, please check up the AC Knob type and I feel this must be the same type as ANHC.

All the very best to you and God Bless.

Regards
Dr MUDHAN

Last edited:
Thread Starter #249

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
PART XXX:

MY ALBUS TOUCHED UP!
How I managed to hide bumper scratches?

I don’t think so that you would be able to see a car today without a few bumper scratches and scuffs which are unsightly. I too have them often as our fellow motorists mark their meet in our driving life!

I don’t know about your place. But @ Chennai, literally there is no respect for indicators and two wheelers squeezing through in between cars is a matter of their right!

I always wait for my next service and the dealer used to touch up and hide them to some extent. You have to get satisfied or otherwise they insist to do a full bumper painting to match the area.

Unfortunately, this time I had some scratches and I have decided to solve myself. I checked up about paint touch up kits and I found one from com-paint.com, they have both matching new Paint Pen and Com-Paint Value Pack Kit for Cars. The kit comes with Touchup Spray, Finishing Solvent Spray, Tube of Com-Cut, Com-Fill, Com-Paint Emery Pads (EP - 400) & (EP - 2500) Grit.

My worry was that whether this spray match my shade of taffeta white or shall I get a help of a local painter? Somehow I want to avoid painting as for as possible for small things like this one, as the process may spray paints & spoil my other areas especially on head & fog light assembly.

It is a never ending problem so I decided to make it myself.

I sent my man to get just 50ml of Taffeta White from one local auto paint seller who gives any quantity from 50 ml and above. But I got a call that I should bring the car to get the matching shade as around 5 shades are being used depends upon the age of the paint. My very purpose is, I don’t want to take my car to any congested place. So I told him that I would sent the color patch from bumper & he agreed. I removed temporarily the fiber lid (towing hook) in the front bumper and sent the same and I got the paint. I purchased one flat synthetic paint brush no.7, for both he charged only Rs.100/- (Avoid animal hair brushes as they have very little strength, tend to get bent right from the ferrule & difficult to clean and reuse. Better go for a synthetic paint brush size 4 or 6)

This is the way I did it:

Cleaned the surface with MF, cleaned with alcohol – filled the micro grove lines with paint line, after 15 minutes covered the areas by horizontal strokes of paint. Repeated after 1 day but not used alcohol. Polished & glazed, allowed to be cured, applied sealant and waxed next day from my detailer kit.
Of course, I did not do wet/dry sanding (that would have been fine) as I have not used a spray paint.
I felt alcohol (surgical spirit) is safe, it helps even to remove excess paint touched up without causing damage to adjacent areas.
After painting I cleaned the brush with alcohol. Closed the little plastic can, put into an air lock pouch and kept inside the fridge for future use. Adding few drops of NC paint thinner and shaking periodically may avoid the drying up of the paint, I believe.

The finish is not a professional one but still it is not much noticeable.

I know, it is not a correct way. But I feel it is better than dealer touch up, even by them the color mismatches. This will work out for superficial scratches. Deep scratches requires fillers which is also available in auto paint shops.

I am happy for two things, one - it is very cheap and next I can do it at any time without waiting for others.

car touch up paint 01.jpg

car touch up paint 02.jpg

car touch up paint 03.jpg

car touch up paint 04.jpg
car touch up paint 05.jpg

car touch up paint 06.jpg

That's a successful Plastic Surgery [clap]

Sir, I think It was a good decision for not going for the com-paint product. In my case the paint shade was not matching and its really very much noticeable.[cry]

Good job sir. As you have mentioned, it is a cheaper way to do the paint job our-self than to spend the money with the professionals for these superficial scratches.

Hello sir, Once again inspiring from your article MY ALBUS TOUCHED UP!, I have inquired color for my car at local car color shop, he quoted me Rs. 350/- for 100ml. and if i want THINNER, HARDENER the cost is 750/-. So i want to ask you is does that price tag is okay? And what is the use of those thinner, hardener? Can you explain it?
What kind of alcohol(surgical spirit) you have used for cleaning? Where can i get that?

Thread Starter #253

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ HaruH

SOMETHING ABOUT SURGICAL SPIRIT

SURGICAL SPIRIT.jpg

Surgical spirit is Isopropyl alcohol for topical application.

Ethyl alcohol is used in drinking such as spirits, tonics, liquor, beer … means it can be ingested.

Isopropyl on the other hand is mainly used as a external medicinal and sanitary agent such as rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer. Available in all pharmacies/ Apollo pharmacies @ Rs.50/- per 100 ml bottle.

Surgical spirits are available in different concentrations. The 100 ml surgical spirit is normally used before minor surgical procedures & used as pre- injection swab. The spirit also dis-infects instruments like thermometers and other surgical equipment.

car paint touch up.jpg

What I got from the Chennai auto paint seller is little, 50 ml quantity of Taffeta White (matching my color) mixed with thinner and ready to use. I did not add anything more like THINNER (the thickness/ consistency reducer or HARDENER (the catalytic drying enhancer). The price quoted to you is on the higher side and the mixing by ourselves (4 part paint: 1 part thinner or 3:1 depends upon the weather) may not be required for people like us. Ask the shop to give a mix ready to use and buy as for as possible lower quantity. The balance paint for future use, should be kept in the fridge or otherwise it will dry and become unusable. Better to keep in a glass bottle if possible.

Please check up some more shops & decide.

FYI: Thinners are different - Spirit Based Thinners, N C Thinner and Enamel Thinner. There are other thinners mixed with kerosene, turpentine for different purpose; one should be careful in buying the reputed original brand like SHEENLAC NC thinner etc..
NC thinner is a multipurpose thinner, have a nail polish smell, clear and dissolve well, dry up the paint on evaporation.

Last edited:
Please check up some more shops & decide.

FYI: Thinners are different - Spirit Based Thinners, N C Thinner and Enamel Thinner. There are other thinners mixed with kerosene, turpentine for different purpose; one should be careful in buying the reputed original brand like SHEENLAC NC thinner etc..
NC thinner is a multipurpose thinner, have a nail polish smell, clear and dissolve well, dry up the paint on evaporation.
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. There is only one dedicated car color shop in our city and i think he quoted me on higher side because of my car color. Well I'll search more and try to implement all.
Once again thank you so much. [:)]

Top Bottom