Volkswagen Polo Comes To India

Some update from motoroids
Polo, which was supposed to be available in 1.2-litre and 1.4-litre petrol and 1.4-litre diesel options, will be available only in the 1.2-litre petrol guise. It will be launched at the Auto Expo next month and will go on sale instantly as the production of the India-spec version commenced on the 12th of December at VW’s Chakan plant. The 1.4-litre petrol and diesel variants will be launched later in 2010 – which is a bit of a disappointment considering a lot of people were delaying their buying decisions for the Polo diesel. The delay in 1.4-litre variants will give the competition some breathing time. The interiors of the Indian version have been toned down as compared to the European models. No word yet on the quality of plastics, but knowing VW, it won’t be much of a compromise. The is expected to start at an ex-showroom tag of Rs. 4 lakh which is quite a steal if the quality and equipment levels are up to the mark.

RSM

The news from Motoroids is really disappointing. In the pictures, i could see a TDI engine plonked into a half finished Polo. So most probably Petrol release will be in jan and come march we will have the Diesel variant as well. And end of the year time for the Saloon/Notchback. Somehow, i did not like the notchback spy pics though they were not clear.

--20 days to go

I read some where that 1.2 TSI proved to be expensive to manufacture, so VW has opted out as of now. May be with Polo Sedan, they will introduce it and eventually in Polo itself.

Hmm, so looks like no TSI for sure. So how does the other Petrol option look like? So after all, it is just the BRAND LOGO VW which is attractive at the end.

Polo is neither here nor there. I mean its not a powerful car nor is it a gadget car. VW played to the market and not to the car enthusiast. Good move i think.

Release Beetel. 25L OTR. People link VW with Beetle. Then release Polo. for 5L. Give a stupid engine and ok interiors. Well, time will tell what is going to happen. I am not going to speculate though.

Carzy Cat, where did you read this? Source please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, so looks like no TSI for sure. So how does the other Petrol option look like? So after all, it is just the BRAND LOGO VW which is attractive at the end.

Polo is neither here nor there. I mean its not a powerful car nor is it a gadget car. VW played to the market and not to the car enthusiast. Good move i think.

Release Beetel. 25L OTR. People link VW with Beetle. Then release Polo. for 5L. Give a stupid engine and ok interiors. Well, time will tell what is going to happen. I am not going to speculate though.

Carzy Cat, where did you read this? Source please.
I don't remember exactly where i read. Most probably, in ACI magazine or from some random Auto sites. The engine might come at a later stage.

These random auto sites and random dealers are quite funny. One dealer said, TSI is going to be released for sure. And price range of 7 lacs. Some websites said ONLY Petrol (1.2L 70 ps 3 cylinder) ONLY.

-- 20 days to go

Things are more or less confirmed. OD has this news now too.
2 Models. 1.2 Petrol and 1.2 TDI. Probably with the bluemotion.

--19 days to go

Carwale
Specs (Speculated)
Engine Displacement: 1.4 litre TDI; 1.2-litre and 1.4 litre TSI
Moneycontrol - Overdrive
It will be available with two engine options- a 1.2 litre petrol engine same as the one seen on the Skoda Fabia and a 1.2 litre common rail diesel engine and will be available in five trim levels.
I think Fabia has 1.2 mpi engine.

Jochem Heizmann, Member - Board of Management, Volkswagen, said -
It's a little early to talk about final prices in this area, VW cars will be the premium cars on a high volume basis. Skoda cars will be the high quality cars on affordable prices. This is generally our plan.
So looks like Polo will be cheaper than Fabia, but will be compromised on quality.

well, carmakers job is tough and getting the right ingredients is something only few automakers in India have succeeded.

Will VW find it? They made all right noises so far. Investment, Top End cars, low end volume ready to release. Hmm,

17 days to go

Top Bottom