Skoda Fabia AC Cooling Stops After 30 Minutes: Compressor or Electrical Problem?

Thread Starter #1
I own a 2008 Skoda Fabia, and recently I've been experiencing an issue with the AC. It cools fine for about 30 minutes, but then the cooling stops, although the fan keeps blowing air. To get it working again, I have to turn the car off and on.

I visited a local AC technician who thought the issue was with the compressor wall, the high-pressure switch, and the water pump (since he noticed the engine was running hot). I replaced all of these parts, but the problem persisted. While replacing the compressor wall, I noticed a black oil-like substance leaking from the compressor. However, the technician assured me that if the compressor or condenser were the problem, the cooling wouldn't work at all, not even for the first 30 minutes. We also tried removing and reinserting the same evap sensor below the steering wheel and noticed that the pipes were getting frozen when removed and the ice melted when inserted.

I then took the car to a different technician, who tested the power supply to the compressor by attaching a light bulb to the compressor wire. After about 30 minutes, the light went out, indicating the power was being cut off. When the car was restarted, the light and the AC came back on. He was certain that the issue was electrical, not with the compressor or the AC system itself, since the cooling would restart once the power was restored.

We scanned the car, and the only error that came up was related to the drive battery voltage ("implausible signal"), which the technician said wasn’t related to the AC issue. He ran tests on various car modules, and while checking, the wipers activated randomly, and the AC started cooling again, only to stop after 30 minutes as usual. Despite the tests, no significant errors appeared, except for the battery voltage issue.

The technician now believes the problem lies with the Body Control Module (BCM) and suggests it needs replacing. I'm unsure if this is the real issue, especially since I initially thought the black oil in the compressor indicated a fault with the compressor or condenser. Could it be the BCM, or is there another potential cause? I’d appreciate any advice. Please help. Thanks

Thread Starter #3
My technician said that he checked the relay that comes in the front bumper near the left headlight if I’m not wrong. He said it is working fine. I don’t know how to check that though.

Thread Starter #5
Thank you for this video, however my compressor is not clutch controlled, it is wall controlled. Thanks though. Any more help is appreciated as the problem if it is relay should be shown on the scan right?

Nairrk

Honoured Member
From your first post, you mentioned that you have shown the car to a couple of local AC technicians, but not to Škoda service center. Why don't you show the car to Škoda guys, who may be able to diagnose the problem correctly?

+++

In the meanwhile, I was reading a question and answer of similar problem which is as under: (even your problem may not be similar, but suggest take the car to the Škoda service center instead of taking to private technicians).

///
Why does my car’s AC compressor stop after a few minutes?

Because your AC system is running low on refrigerant. The usual reason for this is a leak in the system somewhere.

There’s a pressure switch that will disconnect electrical power to the compressor clutch when the AC refrigerant pressure drops too low.

This cycling will continue until the refrigerant pressure drops below a minimum set point, at which time the compressor will no longer run.

The reason for this is to protect the compressor from severe damage. The refrigerant contains an oil used to lubricate the compressor. You lose the refrigerant, you lose the oil and the compressor disintegrates internally. As it does so, it typically shreds aluminum bits into the internals of the AC system. Big time repair and expensive. So, they have the pressure switch. But, you really don’t want to put your faith in some $7 switch to save you from a couple of thousand dollar repair.

Leave the AC off; don’t use it. Roll the windows down. Find a local shop and make an appointment. Bring your car into a good rep independent shop or even the dealership if you like. Your AC system will be tested, repaired and loaded with the correct amount of refrigerant. The leak might be an easy-peasy fix; a simple rubber o-ring seal. Or not. If the leak is really small or the repair is really expensive, you can choose to have them recharge the system with the knowledge that you’ll end up in the same situation …how soon depends on how bad the leak is.

Credit: Quora.com

Thread Starter #7
From your first post, you mentioned that you have shown the car to a couple of local AC technicians, but not to Škoda service center. Why don't you show the car to Škoda guys, who may be able to diagnose the problem correctly?

+++

In the meanwhile, I was reading a question and answer of similar problem which is as under: (even your problem may not be similar, but suggest take the car to the Škoda service center instead of taking to private technicians).

///
Why does my car’s AC compressor stop after a few minutes?

Because your AC system is running low on refrigerant. The usual reason for this is a leak in the system somewhere.

There’s a pressure switch that will disconnect electrical power to the compressor clutch when the AC refrigerant pressure drops too low.

This cycling will continue until the refrigerant pressure drops below a minimum set point, at which time the compressor will no longer run.

The reason for this is to protect the compressor from severe damage. The refrigerant contains an oil used to lubricate the compressor. You lose the refrigerant, you lose the oil and the compressor disintegrates internally. As it does so, it typically shreds aluminum bits into the internals of the AC system. Big time repair and expensive. So, they have the pressure switch. But, you really don’t want to put your faith in some $7 switch to save you from a couple of thousand dollar repair.

Leave the AC off; don’t use it. Roll the windows down. Find a local shop and make an appointment. Bring your car into a good rep independent shop or even the dealership if you like. Your AC system will be tested, repaired and loaded with the correct amount of refrigerant. The leak might be an easy-peasy fix; a simple rubber o-ring seal. Or not. If the leak is really small or the repair is really expensive, you can choose to have them recharge the system with the knowledge that you’ll end up in the same situation …how soon depends on how bad the leak is.

Credit: Quora.com
The reason I dint show it to the skoda company is because they refuse to work with compressors that have been manufactured by a third party company. I have already changed the compressor 2 years back through a third party company. The skoda one was 9 times more expensive around $1400. If there is a leak shouldnt the ac gas just run out completely slowly? How is it that after
I turn the engine off and on, the cooling starts?

Top Bottom