Skoda Fabia AC Cooling Stops After 30 Minutes: Compressor or Electrical Problem?

Thread Starter #1
I own a 2008 Skoda Fabia, and recently I've been experiencing an issue with the AC. It cools fine for about 30 minutes, but then the cooling stops, although the fan keeps blowing air. To get it working again, I have to turn the car off and on.

I visited a local AC technician who thought the issue was with the compressor wall, the high-pressure switch, and the water pump (since he noticed the engine was running hot). I replaced all of these parts, but the problem persisted. While replacing the compressor wall, I noticed a black oil-like substance leaking from the compressor. However, the technician assured me that if the compressor or condenser were the problem, the cooling wouldn't work at all, not even for the first 30 minutes. We also tried removing and reinserting the same evap sensor below the steering wheel and noticed that the pipes were getting frozen when removed and the ice melted when inserted.

I then took the car to a different technician, who tested the power supply to the compressor by attaching a light bulb to the compressor wire. After about 30 minutes, the light went out, indicating the power was being cut off. When the car was restarted, the light and the AC came back on. He was certain that the issue was electrical, not with the compressor or the AC system itself, since the cooling would restart once the power was restored.

We scanned the car, and the only error that came up was related to the drive battery voltage ("implausible signal"), which the technician said wasn’t related to the AC issue. He ran tests on various car modules, and while checking, the wipers activated randomly, and the AC started cooling again, only to stop after 30 minutes as usual. Despite the tests, no significant errors appeared, except for the battery voltage issue.

The technician now believes the problem lies with the Body Control Module (BCM) and suggests it needs replacing. I'm unsure if this is the real issue, especially since I initially thought the black oil in the compressor indicated a fault with the compressor or condenser. Could it be the BCM, or is there another potential cause? I’d appreciate any advice. Please help. Thanks

Thread Starter #3
My
Did you check the A/C Relay switch?

A faulty switch prevents the current from flowing; the switch may be open, but there's no current or power between the terminals.
technician said that he checked the relay that comes in the front bumper near the left headlight if I’m not wrong. He said it is working fine. I don’t know how to check that though.

Top Bottom