Ford Ecosport | 1.5P | 10,000 Kms | Review: When Love and Hate Collide

Thread Starter #31
Thanks Rajiv..
I installed the drl two days back. I think you can try that also
@Sooraj

Could you please share the details of the DRL (and possibly pictures of the same), including the cost. A local accessories shop here quoted 9K for DRL installation.

Also please do detail on how the set up was installed.
Congrats Sooraj!! Hoping to see pictures real soon

Last edited:
Thread Starter #32
@Sooraj

@Rajiv,

Thanks for your advice on tyres - looking at the prices quoted for the tyres by local dealers (buy back of 3.5K for MRF and 9K for new Yoko-both prices per piece), I am thinking of sticking with the stock tyres to begin with - but you never know, that might change once I get the car and start on the mod jobs [;)]

Sorry to hear about your iPhone - but don't worry. You are not the only one - I too broke my HTC sensation's screen last week - and you know what, no shop (that I went to) in Trivandrum can repair it. So me too stuck with a broken display - but it works fine, so planning to keep it till as long as it lasts.

Please do share the interior mods details in between if possible - That's one of the things I have been looking forward to since your last post [:)]
Sooraj, thanks for concern, it certainly feels bad. I have been able to fix it though with some parts sourced from china and local market

would try and cover interiors between today and tomorrow

I am assuming that you sourced a screen / digitiser from China (I am guessing, through aliexpress) and reassembled the entire phone.

I also thought of doing the same - but seeing the DIY videos on Youtube, I felt a bit short on confidence to disassemble the entire phone myself - at least is working now :biggrin:

note : if you are not using Aliexpress to source stuff from China, could you please let me know the details - I have reasonable contacts in China, but clueless about further details.

would try and cover interiors between today and tomorrow
Wonderful [clap]

Hi here are the pics..

This is a very easy installation. The guy removed the head lamp cluster. And cut it through the line after the clips are located and placed the tube properly in the gap provided. We didn't tamper any wire, it's the same indicator connection only. so still under ford warranty. It's not as bright as an audi [glasses] but it's classy

While indicator is on..

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Anoop.. You are correct.its a kind of sealant they used and that's sufficient. I didn't provide the drl. Overall cost was 11k with installation..and took 4 hours. I had checked with my friends who got it done for 17k. So I think price is ok.. They provide 6 months warranty too

Thread Starter #37
2. Interior enhancements:
o Rear seat Headrests

Wonder why, Ford had to do this. The cost for getting aftermarket headrests was only 3K (what I paid to the dealer – includes his margin), however the inconvenience was far higher – I am sure Ford could have accommodated this cost to provide basic comfort across Ecosport portfolio. Since they didn’t care, I had to get aftermarket ones

Special thanks to TAI member Jeetu_m who was kind enough to provide pointers for getting this mod done in Pune. This was straight, simple and cost effective. In some sense a pre curser to the next mod

So that’s 50 from 80 K budget gone

o All Black or Black + Tan interiors with bright silver/chrome garnish

It was the day of PDI when I first saw the ambient variant interiors, I was indeed disappointed. Not that I was expecting any extra amenities, I wasn’t expecting Ford to deliberately make it ugly. For those with production line experience would know that painting the consoles and vents with 2 different shades of paint would cost more. And yes, Ford did absorb that cost to make the ambient look ugly.

I was determined to put something together that’s classy yet fits my budget. Since most aftermarket options for art leather seat covers were costing close to 7.5K then, I decided on a budget of 10K for seat covers and side trims.

I evaluated options in and around Pune, bumped into this option from Mumbai by the name of Orchis (Car Leather Seat Covers Mumbai, Car Seat Covers) . Their reviews were decent, had Shahid Kapoor (marketing gimmick) as their customer, they had already done interiors for an Ecosport (this was unique factor in Sept 2013). The best part was that they promptly responded to my inquiry online, confirmed possibilities within my budget and didn’t allow me to try an alternative.

Once the contact was established, I exchanged emails to make sure they understood my requirement (since they were based out of Mumbai I had to be doubly sure). To facilitate the same, I shared before and after pictures.

It was on 26th of October when I drove down to Mumbai for installations. Choice of upholstery, fitting types, interior treatments they offered were fairly impressive. It was not an easy decision with the choices at hand, budget played an important role in finalizing the interiors.

I must inform that despite agreeing on a budget of 10K, once the specs were finalized there was an attempt made by Orchis sales person to move the needle to 18K. I referred to the email exchanges and eventually they agreed to the 10K budget (watch out!!). They would have covered a bit (if they lost moolah from the original deal) from the 2 impulsive upgrades – Steering wrap (real leather) for 2K and bright silver finish on console/AC vents for another 2K

Warning : This installation/Mod is not for the faint hearted. Watching a bunch of people strip your brand new car down may not go down easily

eco1.jpg
eco2.jpg
When they started putting it together, it was rhythm in motion - One set of workers were designing, cutting seat covers for the car. Another set were busy removing the plastics. One of them was getting the trims ready for coating (see picture). The master stroke was from this guy who did the steering cover with such intricate and precise stitches. He also did the side leather trims with the same delicacy.

View attachment 128093
photo 3.JPG

Call me a perfectionist or what, in all fairness the craftsmen did a decent job however there were imperfections which irritated me. They did the best they could however probably because of the day being so busy(Saturday) for them they were not at their best - this job started at 12pm, ended by 11. Most of them were exhausted by then

photo 2.JPG

Hence I wish to convey that please be prepared for imperfections as there will be something or the other that may not transform the way you would have imagined.

64K from 80K gone

o Remote start

Will cover in the next section

Thanks Anoop.. You are correct.its a kind of sealant they used and that's sufficient. I didn't provide the drl. Overall cost was 11k with installation..and took 4 hours. I had checked with my friends who got it done for 17k. So I think price is ok.. They provide 6 months warranty too
In Trivandrum they are quoting 9K for the same. Not sure if they offer warranty.

But I am bit worried about the opening up of the headlamp unit within days of delivery. Let me check the work they have done on one of the ES that is available with them and then decide on whether to go ahead or not.

2. Interior enhancements:

Warning : This installation/Mod is not for the faint hearted. Watching a bunch of people strip your brand new car down may not go down easily

View attachment 128091
View attachment 128092

View attachment 128095

Hence I wish to convey that please be prepared for imperfections as there will be something or the other that may not transform the way you would have imagined.
[surprise] Hats off Rajeev - for having the balls to let them rip apart your new car. But seeing the finished product, have to admit, it was worth the pain.
Whether I can endure such an ordeal is something which I am not sure of. [thinking]

Thread Starter #40
I am assuming that you sourced a screen / digitiser from China (I am guessing, through aliexpress) and reassembled the entire phone.

I also thought of doing the same - but seeing the DIY videos on Youtube, I felt a bit short on confidence to disassemble the entire phone myself - at least is working now :biggrin:

note : if you are not using Aliexpress to source stuff from China, could you please let me know the details - I have reasonable contacts in China, but clueless about further details.
Anoop, in my case even the housing was broken and the phone was not in a usable condition.

As they say, need is the mother of all jugaads [lol], I sourced the housing from aliexpress however LCD+Digitizer was sourced from local phone market in Pune. I am reasonably sure that almost every city in India would have a market like this (and is worth exploring)

Difference between aliexpress pricing and local market pricing was equivalent to the patience one would need to wait for shipment to arrive, so do try it out local markets.

While the videos may have made it appear complex, it isn't as bad when you get to it. A noob like me was able to dismantle and assemble it back in 24 hours

Nice accessories and mods done in your car -

Why dont you join us in Pune meet next week. If not for VW plant visit but at least in evening for dinner.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...en-plant-tour-tai-gers-pune-7th-march-24.html
HI Anshuman, thanks for the invite. It will be a pleasure to be a part of this tour. I will confirm by Monday at the latest (hope it wont be too late)

You can buy it from ebay or ali express - both these sites offer fog lamps for ES with DRLs and they are cheaper than the original accessories (not a 100% sure though).

And you should be able to convince the dealers to fix them for you, else they can be fitted by any accessories shop in your city - it seems a simple job.
As far as i know, AM fogs won't light with the default switch unless Ford uploads some custom XML to the ECU. If you are ok with an additional switch, AMs are anyday better value for the buck

Hello Rajiv love the display mounted in the car,am sure many would like to know more about this,have you integrated rear & front cam to the display?
Would appreciate it if you could share your experience ,costs & tasks you went about to achieve this. Thanks ![:)]
Hi Prads, thank you for the encouragement. I sure will post details soon, yes it would be integrated with front/rear cams. However it is WIP and am stuck due to my limited knowledge of android/java programming

Lovely review Rajiv, and hats off to all the customization's that you have had on mind, and made them into reality.

Orchis, well, they have good skilled people working there, and the quality of stuff is also good. I've got my seat covers done from them back in Q3 of 2012, and they were doing the interiors of Brio for the first time, but did a wonderful job. Only part, i still wonder if i should have gone for complete black. But, whats done is done. Still happy with what i'v. [;)]

When the load is high, they tend to fasten everything, and in the process, they broke the clip of rear seat (which i noticed later), but luckily, Honda came to the rescue by finding out where the noise was from, and did what was required.

Anyhow, congrats on your ride, and wishing your more happy miles ahead.

[drive] safe.

As far as i know, AM fogs won't light with the default switch unless Ford uploads some custom XML to the ECU. If you are ok with an additional switch, AMs are anyday better value for the buck
Hi Rajeev
You got fogs from dealer, if yes at what price and in case its AM it would have the additional switch as mentioned?

@anisin. The drl will automatically switch on the minute you start the engine.and there is no switch to control.whenever you use the turn indicator or parking lights, White will change to yellow[:)]

Top Bottom