Weird Noise - Hyundai i20 Sportz Petrol 2016

Thread Starter #1
So I purchased this i20 2016 Sportz petrol last year in 2023. As far as I remember the car noise was considerably quiet than it is now.

Like 60% of the times it feels like when accelerating between 17-27km speed in 2nd gear there is some noise that increases with acceleration and then decreases as well. A part of the sound feels like there's some turning which picks up speed and it's noise as and when I accelerate, I change to 3rd gear and then that specific turning whining up noise isn't there in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear.

Also the engine noise as far as I know it's engine noise or I'm just guessing, feels like a scratched up throad. Maybe screeching a bit.

Also, there's some grunt noise as well. Some recommended to check for exhaust leaks, so I got that checked, front part and the pipe entirely were changes from an aftermarket exhaust dealer. He mentioned that the 3rd part which is at the tail of the car also has some holes but that's workable for sometime now. So maybe that grunt is from there. It appears with the noises above and in third gear initial speeds and then in 4-5th it's calm as usual.

I've tried to suppress the 2nd gear turbine whining noise which picks up as I accelerate by using xp95 as a full tank so engine was quieter till that xp95 usage but then it was grunty, screechy again in 2nd gear on normal petrol. I checked density of petrol from where I regularly fill and the petrol volume/quality is at recommended range so I don't doubt the petrol quality.

What I idea what could be creating noise in 2nd gear mainly. I'm still fine with the grunty noise which sometimes comes up in 2nd and 3rd gear as maybe the 3rd part of exhaust does have some holes which is causing it but that turbine whining kind of noise like a fan is picking up speed and dropping as and when speed changes in 2nd gear. That seems a bit odd and is bugging me for quite sometime.

From an engine response perspective, I think it's working fine. picking up speeds, is responsive etc.. One mechanic recommended throttle body cleaning when I just told him the description of noise, he didn't even check the car so I don't know if he's just guessing throttle body or suggesting it just to mint money. Any ideas?

Top Bottom