My Tata Nano: 20K Kms of Wonderful Ownership and Driving Experience

Thread Starter #16
Re: Tata Nano: Buying, Driving and Ownership Experience (16,000 Kms)

I think your FE is ok for the summer this time in Bangalore. My Nano FE is 15-16 kmpl now considering it is used for short trips, wife learning to drive, friends and family test driving.

Do you plan for horn upgrade ? I inquired same with Sai and here is his suggestion -

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/6647-tata-nano-its-best-107.html
Thanks for your feedback, good to know that FE is fine for Bangalore summer. Happy to know that [:)]

Hope you are enjoying your nano!

Yes, I surely want to upgrade horn. Any ideas where to get it done in Bangalore? I checked Sai's post wherein, he recommended hella horn that was simple put in place of stock one. Planning to explore during this weekend.

In addition, I am considering upgrading head lights to Phlips xtreme vision. Planning to visit A.K. traders in JC road coming weekend. I read a lot that it improves visibility during night time. Planning to go for stock rating only.

Last edited:

Ok thanks, shall we go together to JC Road this weekend for this ? I have to check out few other things. PM me your number.

Thread Starter #19

Hi Friends, An update of my Nano.

Got 3rd free service done yesterday. Will write details of the same shortly. In the meantime, here is the new look of my nano.

Rear-1.jpg

Close up view of the same:
Rear-2.jpg

Comparison with the original look:
Old-rear.jpg

Main reason for this change is to put the "Drive Safe Arrive Safe" sticker in the center. I will enjoy the minimal look for a few days before putting the Drive safe, arrive safe stickers below the "n a n o" badges.

Do let me know what you feel about the change.

This looks good. [clap].

How much was the service cost and what all will be done ? My Nano is due for 3rd Service next month.

The rear looks unique now with all that chrome at lights and redesigned badging.[clap]

Any news about the new accessories you were planning to insert ? (ie. Hellas & night visions etc...).

Thread Starter #22

This looks good. [clap].

How much was the service cost and what all will be done ? My Nano is due for 3rd Service next month.
Thanks Anshuman8.

The service costed me Rs. 125 (including taxes) [clap] - Just Rs. 125 :)

Here are the list of things done during the service:

1. Nano engine oil - 2.2 liters - 249.78 - free (under AMC)
2. Oil filter - 1 quantity - 75.98 - free (under AMC)
3. Fuel filter - 1 quantity - 46.29 - free (under AMC)
4. Coolant golden - 3 liters - 161.57 - free (under AMC)
5. Brake oil universal - 0.25 liters - 343.36 - free (under AMC)
6. Transaxle oil - 1.2 liters - 255.02 - free (under AMC)
7. Air filter element - 1 quantity - 144.10 - free (Under AMC) - Manual mentions to change at 30K or so, but, the SA said that they have been changing it at 20K
8. Wheel balancing
9. Jobs done under speedo service
10. Third free service
11. Standard checks - Paid
12. Front wheel alignment, check and adjust

The rear looks unique now with all that chrome at lights and redesigned badging.[clap]

Any news about the new accessories you were planning to insert ? (ie. Hellas & night visions etc...).
Thanks venkat_CRDI. I am really enjoying the look with the relocated badges.

Accessories - A few weeks ago got Philips extreme vision (costing Rs. 950 two) and roots supertone horn (Rs. 460). I had got ICE upgrade slightly before that, and totally enjoying my nano to the fullest extent.

Just to add more details regarding the service experience:
I have been visiting KHT Service center in Kundanahalli and I am totally satisfied with the service there. The reception upon arrival and the dedicated manner in which the service advisor try to understand the issues and conveyed the various parts that will be changed under 3rd free service is very professional.

The general manager of the service center happened to be present while I was giving my car and he appreciated our "Drive Safe, Arrive Safe" stickers.

I conveyed the SA regarding the removal of the badges and placing Nano right under the (T) logo with two fingers space between each letter. The SA and the customer relations manager spoke to one another about the requested changes, and said that they will be do it. They called upon the mechanic and conveyed this specific change that I had requested for. The mechanic assured me that he will place the nano logs really well as I had explained.

I got a call at 3.00pm, at least an hour before the assured delivery time and told that the car is ready for pick up. I went to the service center and found my neatly cleaned and ready for delivery. I was so very happy to see the way the n a n o came out. I pinged the general manager to thank him for the good service. He enquired about the nano placing, and came along with me see how it. He said that he really liked the Drive Safe, Arrive safe stickers. I said that I have a spare sticker with me, and I can give it to him. He was very happy for the same.

With car serviced and 19600+ km on odo, it is ready for some really long drives soon.

Last edited:

Thanks for the update. Mine also has AMC, so hope costs will be similar. You are seriously enjoying your Nano

What FE it returns currently? [:)]
Ever had a chance to check it during the service with the help of their lappy plugged to the car's OBD port ?
Through this i guess we could get the actual mileage achieved during the last 10 trips.

Man your nano is such a cutie! this is why i love the nano so much. kudos for maintaining it so well. i love it.

Thread Starter #26

Thanks for the update. Mine also has AMC, so hope costs will be similar. You are seriously enjoying your Nano
I guess the price will be similar to you too. Which service station are you planning to give you Nano for service? Do you have any specific issues or concerns that need to be addressed during the 3rd service?

What FE it returns currently? [:)]
Ever had a chance to check it during the service with the help of their lappy plugged to the car's OBD port ?
Through this i guess we could get the actual mileage achieved during the last 10 trips.
During the summer with AC on 100% time, I noted 18~19kmpl in city. However, during the same time on highways I got 22~23kmpl with 100% AC. The highest I got during my trip to Madurai-Kanyakumari-Rameshwaram was 25kmpl during morning hours with 70% time AC on.

Two months ago when I noticed 18~19, I check with TASS (KHT motors), and they connected to laptop via the OBD2 port to check if all is fine. They conveyed there are no errors and the lower than 20kmpl FE is during higher speed the radiator fans, usage of AC, etc during summer. Also anshuman8 confirmed that he to is getting around the same in summer.

Man your nano is such a cutie! this is why i love the nano so much. kudos for maintaining it so well. i love it.
Thanks a lot type-r, I too like my Nano a lot. In fact, seeing the pics of well maintained cars by Tai-gers, reading several threads on TAI on how to maintain the car in best shape are motivation to keep it well. I have owned this Nano for 14 months now, and enjoyed each and every moment.

Last edited:
I am planning to take it to Concorde Motors, my regular TASS. Earlier it was serviced by Aadya Motors (by previous owner).
No major issues are there but in bits and pieces. I will contact you offline regarding same.

Thread Starter #28
I am planning to take it to Concorde Motors, my regular TASS. Earlier it was serviced by Aadya Motors (by previous owner).
No major issues are there but in bits and pieces. I will contact you offline regarding same.
When is your car service due?

Yes, in case of anything, please feel free to give me a call.

Thread Starter #29
Returning to my thread after more than a year. Have been enjoying with my Nano car during this time. Have run 37000+KM since the time of ownership, that is from March-2013. I haven't faced any issues with the Nano.

Over all updates from the last one year are:
  1. Taken the car for a 4 day trip to Bangalore-Tanjore-Kumbakonam-Chidambram-Arunachalam-Bangalore during August last year. Enjoyed the trip and didn't face any difficulty.
  2. Driven to Hyderabad during Oct and Dec last year and most recently during Oct-2015 dasera break. Driving to Hyd is always super smooth with the excellent highways. Recorded a FE of about 22-25kmpl. I tend to drive between 70-80kmph only
  3. Drove to Thiruvenveli to meet a friend in Feb this year. From there went to the wonderful temple of Palani. It was my first trip to the temple, and thoroughly enjoyed the trip.
  4. Drove to Coorg, Wayanad and Alleppy this year during May. It was my first trip to Coorg. Enjoyed the stay at a homestay and enjoyed traditional coorg food. The drive to Madhekeri was amazing with wonderful ghats. With four people on board, I didnt have any trouble traversing the ghats.
  5. Entered Kerala for the first time during this trip, and the drive through the forest area was thrilling. Although we couldn't sight any wildlife, the greenery around us was scenic and mesmerizing. Had a good experience on the house boat during a day trip at Allepy in the backwaters.
  6. Highways of Kerala are good, but narrow. So, the drive from Wayanad to Alleppy, until Ernakulam took a whole lot of time. Again while returning, the drive till Tamil Nadu border took quite a bit of time.
  7. Happened to meet three Tata Nano owners over a small meet in Bangalore a few months ago at the A2B on the way to the new airport. It was wonderful to connect with them.
  8. Got my windows coated with Staykool coating to beat the heat. I found it particularly useful during recent return trip from Hyderabad when sun was falling on my windshield and windows. I found the windows with the Staykool coating to be at less warmer compared to the windshield, which didnt have the coating.

Two accidents/incidents happened during this past 1+ year
  1. While going to Tiruvenveli in Feb, a driver of a tempo-traveler walked from the driver side across and hit against my nano Right ORVM. By grace of God, he didnt get any injury, since the impact happened as I was just starting to drive my car after a breakfast stop at A2B. Still, took him to hospital, got him x-rayed and bought him the required medicines, etc.
  2. Two days ago, an idiot with Honda city rear-ended my Nano in front of JP Morgan on ORR. I had to slam the breaks to avoid hitting the car in front of my who slammed the breaks to avoid hitting a two wheeler monkey who was taking a U-turn over the road divider. This honda city idiot was arguing that I slammed the breaks and hence, he had no option than to hit me. I didnt have patience to argue with the ****** and proceeded. The bumper is partially broken due to the impact under the rear fog-light

Have been loving to drive my Nano so far. Overall, it's been a great experience to drive the Nano. Absolutely VFM in terms of maintenance and fuel efficiency.

[*]Two days ago, an idiot with Honda city rear-ended my Nano in front of JP Morgan on ORR. I had to slam the breaks to avoid hitting the car in front of my who slammed the breaks to avoid hitting a two wheeler monkey who was taking a U-turn over the road divider. This honda city idiot was arguing that I slammed the breaks and hence, he had no option than to hit me. I didnt have patience to argue with the ****** and proceeded. The bumper is partially broken due to the impact under the rear fog-light
[/LIST]

Have been loving to drive my Nano so far. Overall, it's been a great experience to drive the Nano. Absolutely VFM in terms of maintenance and fuel efficiency.
And people say Nano's drum brakes are poor. Its the driving skills & sense which is required to stop at the right time (Be it cycle or container).

Last edited:
Top Bottom