Monocoque vs Ladder Chassis in SUVs: Advantages & Disadvantages!

Re: Monocoque V/S Ladder Chassis in SUVs: Advantages & Disadvantages!

I think rangey has a semi monocoque chassis. But LR best offroader is the defender,BOL car.

Grand cherokee is a mono chasis ,have anybody got doubt on its offroad prowess?
You are correct , yet the best offroader from jeep is the wrangler and see what jeep has to say

The global head of Jeep has given the strongest indication yet that the brand’s iconic Wrangler off-roader will continue to use a body-on frame construction.

Speaking with TMR, Jeep CEO Mike Manley said that off-road capability was paramount for the Wrangler, the ruggedness of a ladder-frame chassis remaining integral to the Wrangler’s mountain-climbing prowess.

“To maintain the capability of that vehicle is fundamental, and as you know it'd be very difficult to create that level of capability if you departed too much from body-on frame,” Manley told TMR.

“The Wrangler has to be the extreme capable vehicle in our brand, so I think body-on-frame is the way to go with Wrangler. Certainly for the next generation.

Source -

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/#/54800/2016-jeep-wrangler-to-shed-weight-keep-ladder-frame-chassis

The the cherokee is indeed a great offroader but not because the chassis is perfect for offroad,but the amount of tech its got.

Thread Starter #20

Xover what about the mixed breeds ? the likes of Montero's/Vitara's
If the BOF will become 'extinct' in the next 20 years,then perhaps these hybrids will come under the category of "endangered species"(if they are not there yet,lol).:biggrin:

But seriously man why apart from Mitsu and Suzuki the others haven't tried something like this is beyond me? OEM's either choose pure BOF or pure monocoque,why not try this unique set-up?

Perhaps Jayadev is right,manufacturing cost will be too much for such products.Anyways,even Innova/Fortuner's ladder chassis is welded with the body(on some key members) to enhance rigidity(apart from being screwed together).That explains why Innova despite being BOF is more lighter and better handler than monocoque XUV5OO(even though XUV is smaller in length)!!

If the BOF will become 'extinct' in the next 20 years,then perhaps these hybrids will come under the category of "endangered species"(if they are not there yet,lol).:biggrin:

But seriously man why apart from Mitsu and Suzuki the others haven't tried something like this is beyond me? OEM's either choose pure BOF or pure monocoque,why not try this unique set-up?

Perhaps Jayadev is right,manufacturing cost will be too much for such products.Anyways,even Innova/Fortuner's ladder chassis is welded with the body(on some key members) to enhance rigidity(apart from being screwed together).That explains why Innova despite being BOF is more lighter and better handler than monocoque XUV5OO(even though XUV is smaller in length)!!
If you look under the skin of the LR Discovery, you will find the 'hybrid' chassis. Its a monocoque body mounted on a ladder frame. To get the best of both the worlds. Ruggedness and on road discipline. BUT it is outrageously heavy.

yes you are right. Crumple zones can be incorporated into BOF chassis also, BUT it wont be as effective as in a monocoque.
The question is when why and what necessiates the need of crumble zone.

Too much of them will not be useful for impact of larger magnitude ,crushing the vehical and occupants, where airbags could be a saviour in a stiffer rigid chasis.
Sometimes monocoques deform where doors fail to open.

The question is when why and what necessiates the need of crumble zone.

Too much of them will not be useful for impact of larger magnitude ,crushing the vehical and occupants, where airbags could be a saviour in a stiffer rigid chasis.
Sometimes monocoques deform where doors fail to open.
best example would be an F1 car.

many have gone through most deadly accidents at those high speeds, but still the fatality has been low.

it is developing field i guess.

Hybrid chassis like the LR Discovery will have enormous kerb weight.
That's the main negative about the hybrid chassis.
LR Discovery has a kerb weight of almost 2.5 ton[frustration]

Having used both the type of vehicles, i am still not technically clear on why a monocoque is better in handling compared to BOF. If i compare Scorpio with XUV etc the difference is clear. How ever When I consider Scorpio with Innova where both are BOF i wonder how Innova handles better? The visible difference I see is that Innvoa body sits much lower on the ladder compared to Scorpio and much shorter and aerodynamic as well compared to Scorpio.

So I tend to start believing that its is the shape and ground clearance of the vehicle that contribute to the handling dynamics than the chassis composition.
So if Scorpio shapes its body similar to the latest Honda crv, it might handle and ride better as it is much lower and aerodynamic. No doubt the ground clearance will be compromised.

Also is there a difference in the way axle is mounded in both the cases? if so that could contribute to the difference as well.

Last edited:
So I tend to start believing that its is the shape and ground clearance of the vehicle that contribute to the handling dynamics than the chassis composition.
It's not the GC (Ground Clearance), but CG (Center of Gravity) plays most vital role in handling characteristics. Comparing Innova against Scorpio won't reveal much fact about the influence of chassis structure. Suspension stiffness along with the body stiffness is the key driving factor here.

Top Bottom