Help: Connecting DTH STB To 5.1 HT To TV

Thread Starter #1

Nairrk

Honoured Member
My existing 2.1 HT system giving trouble so I am interested in connecting other HT which was used for other TV (and now idling) and for that I need some assistance.

Connection needed from TATA Play STB to Samsun HD TV and then to Sony Blu-Ray Home theatre 5.1 system.

How the connection is to set up?

From some searches, I got a solution like:

STB HDMI OUT > Sony HT HDMI IN
Sony HT HDMI OUT > TV HDMI IN (which supports ARC)

Guys do you think the above setup will work and if not, what are other alternatives?

Await your comments

////

Thread Starter #3

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Thanks CRACING.

I tried the way as pointed out by me in post no.1, but it didn't work because Sony HT AV receiver not equipped with an HDMI IN port.

So, I tried using a RCA cable connecting Red & white to Tata Play STB and then the other end to HT AV receiver and working fine.

Last edited:
Thanks CRACING.

I tried the way as pointed out by me in post no.1, but it didn't work because Sony HT AV receiver not equipped with an HDMI IN port.

So, I tried using a RCA cable connecting Red & white to Tata Play STB and then the other end to HT AV receiver and working fine.
Oh okay. Another way is to connect parallelly. i.e HT to TV HDMI IN (Arc) and STB to TV HDMI IN. You may also need to enable "Anynet + (HDMI CEC) " in settings.

HDMI Arc.jpeg

RCA connection is also fine but I doubt the sound effect will be as good as digital connection.

Thread Starter #5

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Another way is to connect parallelly. i.e HT to TV HDMI IN (Arc) and STB to TV HDMI IN. You may also need to enable "Anynet + (HDMI CEC) " in settings.
Thanks. I feel the present set up seems okay for me and happy with it now. [:)]

(In case the HT is not switched on, then we can just hear the sound from the TV only. switch on the HT only if needed to enjoy the 5.1 sound).

Thread Starter #6

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Again, Home Theatre connection problem

Last month I have installed Jio AirFiber removing Tata Play DTH connection because I wanted to get the Wi-Fi connection.

Now, I have a new problem in connecting 5.1 channel and get sound from all speakers.

The STB provided by Jio has only one HDMI port and 2 USB ports, but no Optical cable or RCA cable port. Sony DVD, which has the Home Theatre connectivity and has only One HDMI ARC port and One Optical cable port and of course RCA cable ports.

My old Samsung TV do not have an HDMI ARC port, instead it has an optical, coaxial and RCA ports.

Presently, I have connected Jio STB to TV via HDMI cable and TV to DVD connected by optical cable and then 5.1 channels are connected to the DVD (speaker ports). With this connection, I can hear sound from Home theatre front left and right speakers and the subwoofer, i.e. 2.1 channels). No sound from other 3 speakers.

Samsung manual says, if we want to hear sound from all 6 speakers i.e. 5.1 channel audio, connect the Digital Audio out (optical) jack on the DVD/ satellite box (i.e. Anynet device 1 or 2) directly to the amplifier or Home theatre, not the TV.

My confusion is that I have only a DVD with buil-in amplifier and 5.1 speaker system and as such where is the amplifier or anynet as Samsung says.?

Any other alternative set up to get sounds from all the speakers instead of getting sound from 3 speakers now? Some suggests that an HDMI audio decoder or extractor will do the job, but I am not sure yet.?

Thread Starter #7

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Update

Since my last post, I have been continuously pushing Jio fiber customer care to get some solution to my problem, finally got a reply from them:

++

The Jio STB is set on auto mode and passes the sound quality as it is from the Service Provider/OTT to the TV via HDMI.

You need to have Dolby Atmos compatible devices (TV, Soundbar, Home Theatre), the devices should be connected to Jio STB via HDMI. Dolby Atmos does not require any additional functionality or settings.

Connectivity has to be as follows:

1. Jio STB » Home Theatre » TV

2. Jio STB » Soundbar » TV

3. Jio STB » Dolby Supported TV

+++

My TV or Home theater does not have the Dolby Atmos feature, it is now sure that I cannot connect Jio fiber STB to my existing systems, unless I buy a new TV/Home theater.

It is too late now, as I should have checked this requirement prior to finalizing with Jio.

I now understand that Jio has introduced a new system called JIO TV OS with a new model STB, but not sure, if it is ready for release to customers or not.

Anyone heard about this new system from Jio?

Top Bottom