Driving in Heavy Rain - Use Sunglass?

Thread Starter #16
Actually something called "Polarisation" which can be reduced with glasses. The dark or white polirized glass will help visibility in heavy rain.

i suppose by sunglasses they mean are clear polarized glasses not color tinted.

Once I tried (not in rain) Ray-ban sunglasses with polarization, I did not find any difference between normal and polarized glasses, by the way polarized glasses are little expensive than normal glasses.

Any idea how polarized glasses help in normal driving compared to normal ?

i suppose by sunglasses they mean are clear polarized glasses not color tinted.

Once I tried (not in rain) Ray-ban sunglasses with polarization, I did not find any difference between normal and polarized glasses, by the way polarized glasses are little expensive than normal glasses.

Any idea how polarized glasses help in normal driving compared to normal ?
Polarised glasses has double tinge.
The upper side will be dark , where as lowerside will be light dark. Both of different combination as well as colors.
By wearing eyes will not be strained.

Once a salesman in a sepcs shop showed me how the Polaroid "polarised" sunglasses work.
Without wearing glasses he pointed me towards the reflections of sales-counter and other people on the showroom floor-tiles.Then he asked me to put on the polarised glasses, and voila! all the reflections disappeared and I could see only the floor without any reflections.

I assume the glasses could provide a similar aid while driving on a wet,reflecting road surface during the rains and thus increase vision.

an interesting e mail i received GOOD VISION IN A DOWNPOUR

How to achieve good vision while driving during a heavy downpour.

We are not sure why it is so effective; just try this method when it rains heavily.

This method was told by a Police friend who had experienced and confirmed it.

It is useful...even driving at night.

Most of the motorists would turn on HIGH or FASTEST SPEED
of the wipers during heavy downpour, yet the visibility in front of the windshield is still bad......

In the event you face such a situation, just put on your SUN GLASSES(any model will do), and miracle!

All of a sudden, your visibility in front of your windshield is perfectly clear, as if there is no rain.

Make sure you always have a pair of SUN GLASSES in your car.
COMMENTS ARE WELCOME AS I HAVE NOT TRIED ITAmazing, you still see the drops on the windshield, but not the sheet of rain falling.?

You can see where the rain bounces off the road. It works to eliminate the "blindness" from passing cars.

Or the "kickup" if you are following a car in the rain.

They ought to teach this little tip in driver's training.. It really does work

@Kenlitting: But still i won't prefer glasses while driving, i don't know why.

It some what hinders me and feel like the potholes are not visible.

For the heavy rains the automatic wiper will wipe for me as per the rain pouring.

I am still not able to understand this "Sunglass" theory. During summer, i agree it is a boon, but during the rains when the visibility is already poor and the pot holes are hardly discoverable, how will the already dark sun glasses help in improving the vision?

I agree with the people who think it will not increase any visibility. Because during heavy rain fall even you cannot see outside with wipers and wearing shades will create more difficulty than benefit. Still I will try it once it rains in Delhi but my gut feeling says it would be stupidity on my front to even try this.

I am also agree with this post. I don't think that sunglasses helps while driving and you got heavy rain.
Dear Huon,

Here discussion is not whether one should wear shades or not but during heavy rain fall should we wear one to increase visibility.

Have you tried such thing in past or heard anything on it. Please share if any

Last edited:
Re: an interesting e mail i received GOOD VISION IN A DOWNPOUR

How to achieve good vision while driving during a heavy downpour.

We are not sure why it is so effective; just try this method when it rains heavily.

This method was told by a Police friend who had experienced and confirmed it.

It is useful...even driving at night.

Most of the motorists would turn on HIGH or FASTEST SPEED
of the wipers during heavy downpour, yet the visibility in front of the windshield is still bad......

In the event you face such a situation, just put on your SUN GLASSES(any model will do), and miracle!

All of a sudden, your visibility in front of your windshield is perfectly clear, as if there is no rain.

Make sure you always have a pair of SUN GLASSES in your car.
COMMENTS ARE WELCOME AS I HAVE NOT TRIED ITAmazing, you still see the drops on the windshield, but not the sheet of rain falling.?

You can see where the rain bounces off the road. It works to eliminate the "blindness" from passing cars.

Or the "kickup" if you are following a car in the rain.

They ought to teach this little tip in driver's training.. It really does work
Well, I would like to respectfully disagree on that. I have had instances where I have been driving with my shades on and a downpour started (Pune, Mahabaleshwar, Lonavla etc) and the sunglasses make life worse, as you cant see anything. Sunglasses are meant for reducing glares and UV rays, they do not have any mechanism to increase visibility in water.

The only way to handle a downpour is to park your car on the side, let the rain subside a bit and then drive. In case you can not stop, please put on parking lights and fog lights and drive at a manageable speed, and keep your ears and eyes open.[:)]

Last edited:
Re: an interesting e mail i received GOOD VISION IN A DOWNPOUR

Sunglasses or no sunglasses, this is what I'd do in a "heavy" rain. A drizzle is a different story.
I agree with above statement. Ideally, people should do that if they can but if at all they have to drive or continue their journey. Then they should take utmost care by switching parking and fog lamps on. Switch off the music so that they can concentrate on road and enjoy rain [:D].

Top Bottom