Škoda Slavia Style 1.0L MT: Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Škoda Slavia Style 1.0L TSi MT: Ownership Review

Skoda-Slavia-Style.jpg

The Ford Fiesta Classic 1.6 had been serving us impeccably for well-over a decade. It’s exactly 12-years ago I published its ownership review and today, I’m proud to admit that it was one of the best car purchase decisions that never let me down. Thanks to the 15-year old Petrol car ban in Delhi NCR and a growing itch for bigger and more feature-laden car, it was decided to respectfully retire the Fiesta three-years ahead of its shelf life. In the currently booming market for SUVs, I still have a soft-corner for sedans which explains why hardly any SUVs were considered. The requirements were straight and simple: A car that can fill the shoes of Fiesta and then some.

Requirements:
  • 5-Star NCAP
  • Driving Dynamics
  • Practical Features
  • Space and Comfort
  • Sophisticated Design
Prime Contenders:
  • MG Astor: Favoured purely for its value-for-money factor as it was raining huge discounts at MG. Dealership was a spoilsport along with engine performance and unknown maintenance costs.
  • Honda City: Good ol’ name tag inspires trust. Facelift looks better and interiors are lovely. ADAS is a bonus but not very usable. Build quality isn’t too reassuring and ground clearance is less.
  • Hyundai Verna: Design is somewhat overdone. This is subjective but I didn’t find Verna’s interiors as appealing as Slavia. Further, low seating position, unstable bodyshell were reasons for rejection.
  • Volkswagen Virtus: Pricier than Slavia but still misses simply-clever like touches. Dashboard design is unexciting. Personally, I feel VW seems less ambitious about Indian market than Škoda at present.
Why Škoda Slavia?

The launch of Škoda Slavia in Feb 2022 arrived as an immense ray of hope in the diminishing mid-size sedan segment. I had checked it back then and as mostly is the case with Škoda, I returned impressed with experience at dealership and the car itself. However, that’s still not when I was convinced with Slavia. My love affair for sedans reignited with the launch of Volkswagen Virtus, which I tested for our official review in Oct 2022 (Volkswagen Virtus GT: Review & Pictures). During the planning phase, I was nearly sold on the Virtus despite some of its shortcomings, considering the leftover stock in 2022 were sold at huge discounts and I anticipated the same this time. I always prefer to make car purchase during year-end to avail maximum bang for the buck even if it means getting a year-old car on paper. As luck would have it, Škoda announced Slavia MY24 in October 2023 with some feature upgrades including comeback of the 10” infotainment. While MY24 with a price hike was shooting way above the ballpark budget of ₹15 Lakh (I was only considering top-end variants), the launch of Slavia MY24 meant there was a substantial scope of negotiation for the MY23 model. Suddenly, Škoda Slavia made much more financial sense than Volkswagen Virtus which still didn’t have as many discounts.

Since both, Virtus and Slavia are essentially the same cars, I didn’t mind choosing either but price difference aside, a deeper analysis made Škoda Slavia a more suitable choice for me because:
  • The dashboard design is much more pleasant compared to the Virtus.
  • Škoda’s simply clever features, which I find extremely useful, are missing in Virtus.
  • Škoda holds a greater snob-value in India and apparently, the brand looks more ambitious than VW.
  • From what I’ve observed, Volkswagen charges a premium over Škoda in aftersales and spare part costs.
So, Škoda Slavia was deemed as a suitable replacement to our Fiesta for its 5-star NCAP rating, mature driving dynamics, high ground clearance, features like split-folding rear seats, ample space, timeless design and more.

Brite-Skoda-Noida.jpg

Dealership Experience:

The new car purchase battle is half won once the car model is finalized. The next stage is to acquire the right deal. I had visited the dealers in both, Delhi and Noida. Unlike homegrown brands (Tata and Mahindra), dealerships of which have a sarkari vibe to them, stepping inside the Škoda and Volkswagen dealerships is normally a premium experience. Their sales team is well-dressed, professional and courteous. Since there were limited stocks left of MY23 model, getting the desired color was another concern. Personally speaking, light color shades suit well with the character of Slavia and Virtus. However, Lava Blue is exception and now also the newly launched Black. Upon inquiring with multiple dealerships, I realized there’s strictly no discount on Lava Blue, whether it be MY23 or MY24. My next choice was Silver. Fortunately, a couple of Silver units were available at Brite Škoda, Noida. It is an exclusive Škoda Experience Center along with a workshop. Despite being the main showroom, the experience here wasn’t upto the mark of typical Škoda standards as far as well-informed sales team or attention to detail is concerned, but it was alright nonetheless. However, I’d rate our sales executive full-marks for active involvement and follow-ups (unlike salesmen from other brands), considering that he was getting relocated and it was his last deal at this showroom. One cannot deny the fact that a salesman plays an important role in the success of a product, regardless of how good it is and how well it is marketed. Finally, after back-and-forth negotiations, we signed the deal offering a discount over one-lakh rupees. It included no additional items other than a Škoda branded USB cable. While I was exiting the dealership, our sales executive smiled and remarked: “You won’t regret this decision even 10-years down the lane.” I’m optimistic about it and I hope that after a decade, I can write the same words about the Slavia that I’ve written about the Fiesta in the first line of this review.

Thread Starter #2

350Z

Core Team
Welcome Home, Slavia.

Skoda-Slavia-Ford-Fiesta-Classic.jpg

Škoda Slavia has been long enough in the market that I don’t need to familiarize the readers much about its design. I hold the opinion that it’s nicer to have a proper sedan than a pseudo-SUV, and that’s where the Slavia ticks all the right boxes. A trick up its sleeves is the substantial 180 mm ground clearance and split folding rear seats (missing in sedan rivals) that contain sufficient potential to divert the pseudo-SUV customers back into the sedan segment. While the front design of Volkswagen Virtus looks slim and too familiar in India because of Polo or Jetta like face, Slavia on the other hand, looks bigger and more unique from this angle. Anyways, both VAG twins have a timeless upmarket design which should age well. The interiors are welcoming and everything looks decidedly sturdy than the rival sedans. However, there are some exceptions on the interior plastics and I also wish the dashboard was leather-wrapped. Škoda has sensibly used Black color on the places like footwell, door pockets and armrests etc. Fiesta had all-beige instead and I know what a nightmare it can be maintain those. There’s no complaint about the space and comfort so far. Out of all the car models I considered, Slavia is the only car that offers more than adequate front underthigh support for a six-footer.

I was so convinced with the Škoda Slavia that I decided to book one without taking a test drive. I have driven the 1.5L TSi earlier but that’s in a different league altogether. I was confident that this 1.0L turbocharged engineering marvel, which has won accolades worldwide, wouldn’t disappoint either for my usage. I took a test drive post-booking and my only concern about the high NVH levels felt materializing. The same-spec demo car had unusually loud noise inside the cabin which was a letdown. However, the sales executive assured that it was a problem with that specific unit. I took a sigh of relief when I checked a brand-new car and realized it had surprisingly well-contained NVH for a three-cylinder engine. Exterior noise is still somewhat higher to my liking, for which I intend to install hood insulation in the near future. Good fuel economy is an added advantage of this little but powerful engine, which will be a welcome change for me after managing with the gas-guzzling habits of Ford Fiesta 1.6L. Our Slavia is still in the run-in period so I’m being gentle on throttle. I have hardly driven it much and sparsely on the open roads to be able to unleash its true potential to justify an all-inclusive performance review. I’ll soon take it for a long drive and update this thread with observations and future maintenance costs.

Pros: [thumbsup]
  • Top-notch build quality in its segment. Global NCAP 5-star rating.
  • Great driving dynamics combined with reasonable fuel efficiency figures.
  • High ground clearance takes away the worry typically associated with sedans.
  • Looks expensive with Audi’ish design cues. It has a decent road presence too.
  • Provides one of the most comfortable seats with a tall-view and ample legroom.
Cons: [thumbsdown]
  • Glaring cost-cutting on several places is not expected from a VAG brand.
  • The rear parking camera display quality is pitiful for a car at this price band.
  • Coming from a 4-cylinder engine, I need to adjust with noticeable idle vibrations and exterior noise.
  • Gloss black interior plastic is very scratch-prone. Some parts like roof lamp switches could be better.
  • Škoda India customer care needs improvement. Follow-up takes time and there are no feedback calls.

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team
Škoda Slavia: Pictorial Review

Front stance looks aggressive.

Skoda-Slavia.JPG

Slavia poses a decent road presence with well-sculpted body lines, thanks to its length of over 4.5 meters.

Skoda-Slavia-Side-View.JPG

I, for one, absolutely love the Slavia’s rear profile much more than Virtus.

Skoda-Slavia-Rear-View.JPG

Germans are usually particular about attention to detail and it shows.

Skoda-Slavia-LED-Headlamps.JPG

Foglamps are halogen type.

Skoda-Slavia-Foglamps.JPG

Driver side wiper comes with wind deflector.

Skoda-Slavia-Wipers.JPG

Sunroof is adequately sized. I’ll soon get the roof wrapped in black.

Skoda-Slavia-Sunroof.JPG

Front and rear door handle. Both front door handles provide request sensor.

Skoda-Slavia-Door-Handles.jpg

I wish the ORVMs were more functional. I find them a bit inadequate compared to Fiesta’s long ORVMs.

Skoda-Slavia-ORVM.jpg

Horn assembly is covered with a plastic panel. This part needs to be removed in order to swap to the typical VW horn.

Skoda-Slavia-Horn-Cover.JPG

Lots of free space on the 1.0L TSI engine bay.

Skoda-Slavia-Engine-Bay.JPG

There’s no hood insulation for the noisy 3-cylinder motor. That's another thing in my bucket list.

Skoda-Slavia-Engine-Bay-Cover.JPG

Style variant with 16” alloys have a lovely diamond-cut design. Even the spare wheel is same sized.

Skoda-Slavia-Alloy-Wheels.JPG

Thread Starter #4

350Z

Core Team
The interiors are modern, pleasant and welcoming. Overall, plastics are built to last save for a few panels.

Skoda-Slavia-Dashboard.jpg

I don’t mind having the 8” infotainment with dedicated buttons. However, the user interface of 10” unit feels nicer.

Skoda-Slavia-8-Inch-Infotainment.jpg

Even though the dashboard isn’t leather-wrapped, plastics all around have different kind of textures.

Skoda-Slavia-Dashboard-Plastic-Patterns.jpg

Nifty storage space on the dashboard top.

Skoda-Slavia-Dashboard-Top-Storage.jpg

Slavia’s dual-spoke steering looks very upmarket, and these roller switches in chrome add to the charm.

Skoda-Slavia-Steering-Buttons.jpg

Wiper stalks on right and indicators on left. Same as in Fiesta, so thankfully no change in habit required.

Skoda-Slavia-Stalks.jpg

Instrument cluster hood with Skoda embossed on either side looks sporty.

Skoda-Slavia-Instrument-Cluster-Top.jpg

Skoda Digital Cockpit (limited to top-end Style variant) is quite useful and a welcome upgrade for me from the previous car.

Skoda-Slavia-Digital-Cockpit.jpg

Engine start-stop button is conveniently situated but its placement on dashboard or center console would have added to a more premium feel.

Skoda-Slavia-Engine-Start-Button.jpg

Same style headlamp / foglamp rotary knob as mostly seen in the European cars.

Skoda-Slavia-Headlamp-Controls.jpg

AC is controlled by a full-touch panel. I like this concept but yet to check its functionality and AC performance, thanks to the bone-chilling weather.

Skoda-Slavia-AC-Controls.jpg

Phone is placed in a slanting position to avoid disconnection issues with the wireless charger.

Skoda-Slavia-Wireless-Charger.jpg

Handbrake feels more lifted than usual even in the disengaged position (it’s engaged in this picture). Notice lots of useful cubbyholes around.

Skoda-Slavia-Handbrake.jpg

Gearshift has short throws and is a delight to use.

Skoda-Slavia-Manual-Gearlever.jpg

Front seat ventilation, auto start-stop and door lock buttons are placed around the gearlever.

Skoda-Slavia-Center-Console-Buttons.jpg

The clutch is soft but has a slightly longer travel range, not too much to cause discomfort though. Brake pedal has rubber flap on side to prevent foot tangling.

Skoda-Slavia-Pedals.jpg

A similar storage compartment on driver side was present on the Fiesta which I find extremely useful. Great to have it on Slavia too.

Skoda-Slavia-Driver-Side-Storage.jpg

Illuminated glovebox is truly missed (Fiesta had it). On a positive note, this one is cooled and a little bigger.

Skoda-Slavia-Glovebox.jpg

Auto-dimming IRVM is a boon. It has a decent coverage too.

Skoda-Slavia-IRVM.jpg

Forget a lamp, there’s not even a cover on the sunvisor vanity mirror. It’s outright cheap and an eye-sore.

Skoda-Slavia-Sunvisors.jpg

The interior lamps are LED and offer excellent throw. The switch panel in itself is one of the few parts on Slavia’s cabin that look flimsy.

Skoda-Slavia-Roof-Lamps.jpg

There’s a grab-handle even on the driver’s side!

Skoda-Slavia-Grab-Handle.jpg

The sunroof mechanism could have been better concealed.

Skoda-Slavia-Sunroof-Mechanism.jpg

Doors are sturdy to say the least. BTW I intentionally got that color coded (black and orange) Godrej car freshener.

Skoda-Slavia-Door-Pads.jpg

Slavia’s interiors may not appear as plush as of Honda City. However, Skoda has wisely used the colors. Soil-prone areas such as armrests, handles, footwells etc. are black.

Skoda-Slavia-Front-Center-Armrest.JPG

Seperate mobile phone pockets are present on both the seatbacks. Yet another detail which is missing on the pricier VW Virtus.

Skoda-Slavia-Seatback-Pockets.JPG

Floor hump is relatively short to not cause an inconvenience to the rear seat occupants.

Skoda-Slavia-Transmission-Tunnel.JPG

Typical VW keyfob comes with a manual key as well as low-battery indicator.

Skoda-Slavia-Keyfob.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Congratulations. Great car, amazing photographs.
Sedans always look gorgeous in lighter shades. Our previous cars were white so I wanted to avoid it. 350Z
My earlier car was Candy White Polo so I too wanted to avoid white but had no options. There was only one Ambition + AT that was white. I wanted Steel grey or Tornado Red.
The dashboard design is much more pleasant compared to the Virtus.
I disagree, I liked Virtus dashboard more since it resembles latest gen. Polo.
From what I’ve observed, Volkswagen charges a premium over Škoda in aftersales and spare part costs.
Agree. And there isn't anything that is special about its service or parts.
Škoda has sensibly used Black color on the places like footwell, door pockets and armrests etc.
That's a clever choice by Skoda, since i was afraid about maintaining interiors of Virutus as those are all beige. Still using fabric seat with plastic covers on. No worries due to black theme. Intend to get covers later.
I was so convinced with the Škoda Slavia that I decided to book one without taking a test drive.
That was a rash decision. I have test driven Kushaq 1.0 AT, Virtus 1.0 AT, Taigun 1.5 AT, Harrier AT, XUV700 AT, City AT, Scorpion N AT, Slavia 1.0 AT before finalising.
Exterior noise is still somewhat higher to my liking, for which I intend to install hood insulation in the near future.
Its available for less than 1k. I too intend to get it installed.

Finally, after back-and-forth negotiations, we signed the deal offering a discount over one-lakh rupees.
Lucky you are. I got only 40k. Only saving grace was that I did not buy insurance from them and they did not overcharge me a single rupee against registration.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7

350Z

Core Team
That was a rash decision. I have test driven Kushaq 1.0 AT, Virtus 1.0 AT, Taigun 1.5 AT, Harrier AT, XUV700 AT, City AT, Scorpion N AT, Slavia 1.0 AT before finalising.
Maybe. However, in my case there were no other suitable alternatives that could rival the German twins in terms of engineering and build quality. Had it not been the Slavia or Virtus, I’d have considered the Honda City.

Drive Safe,
350Z

However, in my case there were no other suitable alternatives that could rival the German twins in terms of engineering and build quality.
That's true. None of the cars that I have test-driven have come close to the quality of VAG cars.
Had it not been the Slavia or Virtus, I’d have considered the Honda City.
I am not familiar with the performance of the Honda City MT, but I found the City CVT to be unexciting and lacking in responsiveness. Pressing the accelerator resulted in noise but no real action.

Thread Starter #10

350Z

Core Team
My car was included in the recall campaign that required airbag control unit software update. It was done free of charge at Brite Skoda (Noida).

The aftersales team is surprisingly much better and courteous than the lousy sales team at this particular dealership.

Screenshot 2024-01-31 010047.png

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #12
Škoda claims the fuel consumption figure of 20.32 Kmpl for the Slavia 1.0L MT. I managed to extract 21 Kmpl with AC on during a recent trip to Mathura through Yamuna Expressway.
  • Škoda Slavia is a delight to drive on open stretches (even under speed limits). I’m in love with the toughness, handling and ride quality of this car.
  • Coming from the gas-guzzling Fiesta 1.6, the mileage of Slavia feels like a drastic upgrade. You can easily expect 18+ Kmpl on highways. However, in cities it hovers around 15 Kmpl which can drop to 9 Kmpl in traffic.

Skoda-Slavia-21-Kmpl-Mileage.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Excellent. I usually get around 8 kmpl due to driving in heavy bumper to bumper traffic with average speed of 15-17 kmph and my car being 1.0 AT. However it does deliver Excellent FE on highways.
This car is far better and easy to drive compare to my Polo. AT gearbox is super smooth and only requires upshift using padel shifters sometimes. Its fun to drive this car.

Top Bottom