What’s Actual Fuel Tank Capacity Of Trucks?

Thread Starter #1
Hello

I am curious to know why is it that, in trucks, we are able to fill more fuel in the tank than their rated capacity which is mentioned in the catalog.

What is the actual fuel tank capacity and how to know the actual fuel tank capacity of trucks?

Thanks

Hi,

It is the same for all vehicles, even motorcycles and fuel containers like 5 or 20ltr cans. You can carry on squeezing the trigger and fill to the brim. This will always be more than the "safe" rated capacity. Fuel tanks and containers generally have about 10 to 15% space for expansion. Aircraft usually have a minimum expansion space of 2%.

Unleaded fuel contracts or expands 1.2ml in a litre approx for every Centigrade degree change in temperature.

Diesel fuel contracts or expands 0.85ml in a litre approx for every Centigrade degree change in temperature

Overfilling can result in overflowing. No body wants fuel leaking everywhere !!!!

The only way to calculate the (actual) maximum usable capacity of any fuel tank is to "run it dry" and refill to the safe level.

I don't recommend running any tank dry as it may result in air locks and need system bleeding, apart from most carburettor engines.

Regards
Neil

Another way of dealing with this range issue is to do what us motorcyclists do. Fill the tank, reset the trip odo and drive as far as you dare !!! Then make a mental note of the distance.
Then every time you buy fuel, fill to the top and reset the trip odo. That way you will know how many more kilometres you can drive. (Most older bikes do not have a fuel gauge, some have a low level warning lamp, most have a reserve tap for about 3 or 4 litres).

Example : 2004 Focus 1.8 TDDI Estate (nearly at the 300,000 km mark !!!). My daily commute to work is a round trip of 180km mostly cruising at 125 kmh when possible. So, 900km a week. I fill up every Friday night on the way home reset the trip odo.
I have calculated that my safe range is 1040kms. Therefore when I fill up I can still drive another 140kms just in case the garage is closed, or as happens sometimes, they run out of diesel.

Newer cars have digital displays giving distance to empty. So they have no reason to run out of fuel.

Another way of dealing with this range issue is to do what us motorcyclists do. Fill the tank, reset the trip odo and drive as far as you dare !!! Then make a mental note of the distance.
Then every time you buy fuel, fill to the top and reset the trip odo. That way you will know how many more kilometres you can drive. (Most older bikes do not have a fuel gauge, some have a low level warning lamp, most have a reserve tap for about 3 or 4 litres).

Example : 2004 Focus 1.8 TDDI Estate (nearly at the 300,000 km mark !!!). My daily commute to work is a round trip of 180km mostly cruising at 125 kmh when possible. So, 900km a week. I fill up every Friday night on the way home reset the trip odo.

I have calculated that my safe range is 1040kms. Therefore when I fill up I can still drive another 140kms just in case the garage is closed, or as happens sometimes, they run out of diesel.
TechZapk is a great site that offers many free online games for players to enjoy. Whether you're a fan of action, adventure, puzzle, strategy or multiplayer games, TechZapk has something for you.
Newer cars have digital displays giving distance to empty. So they have no reason to run out of fuel.
That's a smart approach, especially for vehicles that don't have fuel gauges or accurate distance-to-empty displays. By tracking your mileage and fuel consumption, you can estimate the range of your vehicle and plan your refueling accordingly. Motorcyclists often use this method due to the absence of fuel gauges on their bikes. By filling up the tank, resetting the trip odometer, and monitoring the distance traveled, they can gauge how much further they can go before needing to refuel. Applying the same principle to your car, you have calculated your safe range as 1040 kilometers based on your commuting habits and fuel consumption. This gives you a buffer of 140 kilometers in case unexpected situations, such as closed gas stations or running out of fuel due to unforeseen circumstances. Modern cars with digital displays providing distance-to-empty information offer even more convenience and accuracy in monitoring fuel levels. With this feature, drivers have a clear indication of the remaining range and can plan their refueling stops accordingly, minimizing the risk of running out of fuel. Overall, whether you rely on manual calculations or have access to digital displays, being mindful of your vehicle's range and fuel consumption is a wise practice to ensure a smooth and worry-free driving experience.

My daily commute varies when I have to change my route to avoid excessive traffic, so the weekly mileage is never exactly the same. That gives me an opportunity to check that my brain is still functioning correctly. (Age 67). A little mental arithmetic starts 30k before I fill up. I calculate the fuel consumption in mpg, sometimes in km/l.
Another added benefit is that I can spot any changes in fuel consumption, suggesting that something is not working correctly and needs attention. I was aware that something was going wrong when I got near the 250,000 km mark, as the fuel consumption got worse. Power was dropping over a few weeks, occasionally running slightly rough. Was about to service/replace injectors and the injection pump failed. The Bosch high pressure pump VP30 electronics failed. A known problem caused by poor soldering and over heating, actually lasted longer than average.
Only the 4th time I have been towed to a garage in 50 years after covering over 2 million kilometers. The other times were a broken drive shaft and 2 premature cambelt failures !!!
Stay safe.

Top Bottom