Tata Altroz EV Scheduled For Indian Launch

Thread Starter #1
Tata to showcase all new EV concept based on ALFA ARC platform. Production version will be launched within 2 years.

ImageResizer.ashx(3).jpg

image for representational purpose only

This electric car will be a hatchback and will cater to personal buyers. A production version will launch in the next to years and will not be based on any existing products.
He went on to state that the EV could have a range of 200 to 250 km. This could cause the prices to be higher but some of the premium may be offset by the government's FAME (Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of hybrid and Electric vehicles) incentives.
Source
Speaking about the electric vehicle, Shailesh Chandra, president - electric mobility business & corporate strategy, Tata Motors said the model “will be closer to an exciting electric vehicle with the right (driving) range, very exciting for private consumers, and one that will drive aspiration in the market. The timeline for an India launch of the production-spec model could be much shorter than the previously thought 3-4 years; it could launch in the next 2 years.”

While Chandra did not delve into the technical aspects of the car, he did talk of the all-important issue of range. “For 80 percent of the (private buyer) EV use cases, a 140km range is good. Some customers feel that a 200km driving range will be great.” Tata’s new EVs may offer up to 250km of driving range in a single charge. "After talking to customers and certain entities which are voluntary groups in the electric mobility space, we have come to a conclusion that anywhere between 220km and 250km is an optimum range to give. Technically it's possible to give 300-400km range even without going for a dedicated platform. Then the price increases to the extent that it would not make sense,” says Chandra while maintaining that 140-150km driving range is still optimum for a midsize car.
Source

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
IMG_20190303_135045.jpg

Altroz ev teaser

Mods please transfer this thread to indian auto sector as this car will be production ready within 2 years and will be launched in india and please change thread title to " tata planning to launch altroz ev within 2 years"

Last edited:
I personally like this kind of clean lines and cab forward design because it will be very spacious. But i don't know how people will react to this. This looks like an improved version of jazz.

Thats altroz EV. Color looks smashing, this seems to be same color used on the Tata eVison concept. Seems Tata makes great concept cars but don't bring them on road. Happened with Prima ages ago, then EVison, and not this Altroz EV

I loved the seat colors, exudes premiumness.

This looks really superb. the color the stance I love. Plus I believe the interior livery is also very classy. Looks top notch. But Alas will it ever come on road? God alone knows.

I saw a walk around review of the car in YouTube. The guy said something about the AC vents that I did not understand. Can anyone explain please?

I like what I am hearing of Altroz Ev on the youtube.

300 Kms range. And nice fun to drive car as per TATA CTO. Now, 300 kms now. And if we say we know the market launch will be 2020, enough time to get it to 500+ kms. And a quick charge to full of about 30 mins will be icing on top. People can do a single day 1000 kms trip.

I would like TATA to debut Ev with Altroz later this year though. If the range is really 300 kms, then there will be people considering this seriously.

@navnit013
Similar feelings about the Altroz EV for me too,
300 kms is a healthy range,good enough to excite people about the product.
But i dont think the product is going to launch next year, its maybe 2/3 years away for a debut in India.

I think the range they mention is without AC on, music/infotainment system on. So how will they affect the range in a long travel.? We would have to switch off AC when stuck in traffic.

I'm very excited about EVs though. They are the future. But I think for a country like India, hybrids are better suited. Right now we have so much rush in petrol pumps in the cities where a normal fueling takes a minute or two. Imagine same number of cars having to stop 30 minutes. That means we need more charging outlets and parking spaces for charging. That will be very difficult in cities.

What could be done is charging stations at every parking lot. Say you are on a long trip, you stop for breakfast at a roadside hotel. Park your car at the hotel parking lot and put the car in charge, go inside and have breakfast, come out and continue your journey.
If fast charging is not available, long travel will not be possible. The EVs would have to be used just in cities. Which is also okay I guess..

Right now we have so much rush in petrol pumps in the cities where a normal fueling takes a minute or two. Imagine same number of cars having to stop 30 minutes. That means we need more charging outlets and parking spaces for charging. That will be very difficult in cities.

What could be done is charging stations at every parking lot. Say you are on a long trip, you stop for breakfast at a roadside hotel. Park your car at the hotel parking lot and put the car in charge, go inside and have breakfast, come out and continue your journey.
If fast charging is not available, long travel will not be possible. The EVs would have to be used just in cities. Which is also okay I guess..
In cities actually, you dont need public charging stations do you?
I dont understand the cry for need of charging stations for electric cars. If you have charging points in your housing society and office parking, its more than enough for the user.

Where you really need charging infra is in highways and other connecting roads. And you already have a solution in your second para. As more and more people take up electric mobility, restaurants and hotels will start deploying free charging stations for its customers. The charging infra revolution will be private sector driven with SME participation that public sector or large industry driven.

Top Bottom