Guide: Cleaning Rust-Like Marks On Chrome Accessories

Sell Car

Thread Starter #1

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
'RUST LIKE MARKS' ON PLASTIC CHROME ACCESSORIES - SOLVED!

Market is flooded with lots of aftermarket ABS Plastic chrome accessories for our automobiles.

It's noticed rust like structural marks over the micro scratches on the chrome surfaces which are happening over the period of time.

This spoils the look of chrome reflections and warrants removal or replacement of accessories. I didn't come across such issues over OE chrome accessories.

In fact, it happened to me over aftermarket chrome handle covers of my Honda City car, and I cleared them by using 2K rubbing compound at the cost of invisible micro scratches which are induced by such abrasives.

Read More here:
ANHC: MY CHROME STORY PART II (SAD!)[frustration]

The same thing happened to me on my Ignis chrome handle covers recently.

I wanted to try an alternative method as against rubbing compound to avoid further micro scratches.

I am sharing with you here about what surprised me!

I just tried to clean with one or two drops of the Pitambari Rooperi Silver Shine Cleaner liquid that is meant for cleaning household silver articles.
717vqOOTLLL._SX679_.jpg

Amazed! [:D]
It beautifully worked, cleaned and made the surface to sparkle!

IGNIS -BEFORE:
ignis 5.jpg

IGNIS-AFTER:
ignis 4.jpg

SAMPLE- LOGO AFTER CLEANING:
IGNIS.jpg

Try, if you come across any such issues:

1. Clean the surface with a MF cloth
2. Take a drop of the clear white liquid on the cloth, softly rub over that surface.
3. Clean the surface by the dry part of MF cloth
4. Repeat once more.

Note:
*Better protect the surrounding paint areas with masking tape before doing.
*This also removes such rust like marks on aftermarket chrome logos.
* The shine lasts longer & not like silver articles which fades sooner when kept open in air.

I am happy if this information helps one of you! [cheers]

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Brilliant post. This article comes right on time as I was quite worried from a while because some chrome parts on my car are developing these marks. I’ve moved it to a new thread. I’m sure this post will help many more. [thumbsup]

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom