BMW 520d Rubber Handle & Window Switch Plastic Melting

Thread Starter #1
We have a 520 BMW which is 6 years old. My sister in Mumbai has been complaining to the service centre for the past 6 months of the issue.

BMW service centre were shown the car and saw the issue. The rubber lining in the door handle bezel is melting on the front driver door and left rear passenger door.

In addition, the window regulator switch surround which is plastic is also melting. BMW say that car is out of warranty so can only replace it at a cost.

Being in the Automotive industry for 40+ years I know that the issue is the raw material used to mould the products and BMW are too proud to admit the issue.

If this was a case in Europe or UK or USA the automotive Ombudsman would have investigated and likely made a recall as melt on a electronic door switch plastic also indicates that there is a likely fault with the electrics and maybe has a further underlying issue. I wonder why we in India are so relaxed and never speak up on foreign car issues and stay quiet.

I would like to know how to take further with the right authorities to get this replaced and closed.

Attachments

Nairrk

Honoured Member
It is normal in India to reason warranty period and ask for payment if any defective parts to be replaced even if the problem was a manufacturing issue. May be you may get some positive response if you contact BMW directly by writing a written complaint either by email (or even posting in Facebook/Instagram etc.).

Keep pushing service centres may not get any result unless you are ready to pay for the work/parts.

Thread Starter #3
It is normal in India to reason warranty period and ask for payment if any defective parts to be replaced even if the problem was a manufacturing issue. May be you may get some positive response if you contact BMW directly by writing a written complaint either by email (or even posting in Facebook/Instagram etc.).

Keep pushing service centres may not get any result unless you are ready to pay for the work/parts.
Many thanks and we are pushing to the fact that I have written to BMW heads in Europe to ask for assistance but I am just a bit surprised that BMW has such a poor rating in India and as Indians we do not fight back more on services.
I also have a Kia Seltos and there I had a issue with the clutch going to the floor but Kia and their service partner Jayanthi Kia agreed that there was a issue, even thought it was outside the warranty, and repaired the issue to a tune of around Rs50,000 and gave me back a perfect vehicle and that is what I call first class service and I will buy more of their vehicles.
I also have a Lexus RX450H and the service I get by the Lexus team is par none. So why is BMW having a typical Herman attitude in India. It better wake up and start reviewing the vehicles and also where is the Automotive ombudsman in India that we can write to which I understand has been set up but doing nothing.

350Z

Core Team
I am just a bit surprised that BMW has such a poor rating in India and as Indians we do not fight back more on services.
Hi there. You’re welcome to The Automotive India. I absolutely resonate with this view since I’m in a similar situation with Skoda (Skoda Slavia Complimentary SMP Scheme: Deceptive?).

In addition, the window regulator switch surround which is plastic is also melting. BMW say that car is out of warranty so can only replace it at a cost.
Apparently, it does look like a manufacturing defect. Just curious if similar is happening with other window switches as well?

If this was a case in Europe or UK or USA the automotive Ombudsman would have investigated and likely made a recall as melt on a electronic door switch plastic also indicates that there is a likely fault with the electrics and maybe has a further underlying issue.
I’d advice to touch base with BMW India customer care (and not the dealer or the Europe division) for further investigation into this matter: contact.india@bmw.in. The auto brands in India are also active on social networks (sometimes more than their customer care!) to maintain their reputation. This issue can be escalated to higher-ups if nothing works. On a side note, it’s normally worth opting for an extended warranty on the expensive cars.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #5
Front passenger and rear driver side no issues.
only driver and rear left side.
contacted BMW who came back and said it’s out of warranty but I clearly indicated that this is a raw material issue so why are you denying the issue.
BMW do not have the balls to own up to an issue as I was told there are such issues with BMW. I guess they are worried about recall costs but then my view of them is tarnished and will not buy a BMW ever again and would discourage people from buying one as they think nothing can go wrong with their vehicle.

350Z

Core Team
BMW do not have the balls to own up to an issue as I was told there are such issues with BMW. I guess they are worried about recall costs but then my view of them is tarnished and will not buy a BMW ever again and would discourage people from buying one as they think nothing can go wrong with their vehicle.
You can report to government (through this link) which will analyze the matter and could trigger the brand to issue a recall based on more such cases. Do try the National Consumer Helpline as well.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom