How Do I Avoid Power Window Issues?

Thread Starter #1
I have a second hand Chevrolet Beat 2015 (I am 2nd owner) which cost us around 2.5 lakh. We bought this car from spinny.

I am paying a huge price for it's repairing. It's draining our so much money. Our car's power window often has issues. We purchased it in late August 2023. Till now, our car's power window got damaged two times in the span of 5.5 months. One thing I remind you all that the company of my car's power window doesn't belongs to Chevrolet.

When for 1st time our power window had an issue, it resolved with just ₹500 as mechanic did something with the wiring. Last week, the main circuit of our power window got blown away. Some smoke fumes emerged from our power window when it's main circuit got blown. Now we have to pay ₹7,200 for it.

If something again happens with our power window, we will become bankrupt. It's costing us a lot of money. What should I do to avoid power window issues which will cost us money? I don't want to pay for it's repair again and again. Enough is enough.

I have a second hand Chevrolet Beat 2015 (I am 2nd owner) which cost us around 2.5 lakh. We bought this car from spinny.

I am paying a huge price for it's repairing. It's draining our so much money. Our car's power window often has issues. We purchased it in late August 2023. Till now, our car's power window got damaged two times in the span of 5.5 months. One thing I remind you all that the company of my car's power window doesn't belongs to Chevrolet.

When for 1st time our power window had an issue, it resolved with just ₹500 as mechanic did something with the wiring. Last week, the main circuit of our power window got blown away. Some smoke fumes emerged from our power window when it's main circuit got blown. Now we have to pay ₹7,200 for it.

If something again happens with our power window, we will become bankrupt. It's costing us a lot of money. What should I do to avoid power window issues which will cost us money? I don't want to pay for it's repair again and again. Enough is enough.
Try to clean window channel. Use WD 40 liberally on the channel. Use a screwdriver with cloth to clean the channel. At last use Silicon grease spray for lubrication. Do not forget to lubricate the channel and and it's mechanism behind door pad. It will smooth the roll up and down.

Thread Starter #3
Try to clean window channel. Use WD 40 liberally on the channel. Use a screwdriver with cloth to clean the channel. At last use Silicon grease spray for lubrication. Do not forget to lubricate the channel and and it's mechanism behind door pad. It will smooth the roll up and down.
Will it prevent blowing up of power window circuit?

I understand the frustration and pain you are facing with the car but honestly, before investing a rupee further in repairs, take the car to an electrician who knows his work so the diagnosis is correct and also the solution given to you is fool-proof. Since Chevrolet has closed operations in India, getting genuine spares also would be difficult for you. Try ordering whatever parts are required from reputed places like Boodmo etc or any parts dealer in your city that stocks parts for Chevrolet vehicles.

Coming to the possible causes:
1. Check the wiring from the body harness to the power window switch through the grommet on the door. If the grommet is not holding up well and pinching the wire, it would short circuit and blow the fuses.

2. Remove the power window motor along with the winder and check how it is working - Is it moving freely up and down on the winder or any obstruction? Disconnect the power window motor and check for smooth rotation of the gears;

3. Check the power window switch pins and connectors for corrosion or damage.

NOTE: Also, connect a multimeter to the power window motor area before dismantling and check the power draw. If the value is higher, then there is some internal issue that needs to be checked.

Hi,
I refer you to your previous post.
The first thing you and your brother need to do is get driving licences, then worry about the power windows. You said you could not afford 70 rupees per day for petrol, you said you could not afford driving lessons, you said you cannot afford to repair the power windows. Sell the car that cost 2.5 lakh, buy one for 1 lakh and use the remaining money to get driver training and full driving licences.
You are both a danger to yourselves, other motorists and pedestrians. Many replies to your last post stated the same advice. What will it take to make you realise how dangerous it is ? Does someone have to be killed or maimed ?
Please stop driving on public roads, neither you or your brother have full driving licences, that also means you CANNOT have any insurance.

Thread Starter #6
Hi,
I refer you to your previous post.
The first thing you and your brother need to do is get driving licences, then worry about the power windows. You said you could not afford 70 rupees per day for petrol, you said you could not afford driving lessons, you said you cannot afford to repair the power windows. Sell the car that cost 2.5 lakh, buy one for 1 lakh and use the remaining money to get driver training and full driving licences.
You are both a danger to yourselves, other motorists and pedestrians. Many replies to your last post stated the same advice. What will it take to make you realise how dangerous it is ? Does someone have to be killed or maimed ?
Please stop driving on public roads, neither you or your brother have full driving licences, that also means you CANNOT have any insurance.
The people whom I know say they learnt driving on their own without any instructor. If you learn from a driving instructor, he will teach you in his own car where he has pedals in passenger seat. If you learn driving in instructor's car, he will control the car with pedals in his side. You won't understand the impact of pedals of your own side. My brother learnt from an instructor for 10 days, he is still not a proper driver.

Me and my brother made a mistake by learning to drive car at a very late age. We never touched scooty/bike/bicycle before learning to drive. We both lack good coordination, multitasking skills and time react. We both have anxiety issues and get scared easily.

This is our another big step we can take in future :
Sell the car and never buy any car/bike/scooty but the problem is my car won't even get sold at 1 lakh and that is a huge loss for us. We will never drive in our entire life and remain dependent on ola, uber and public transport. We don't want to damage others' cars and my own car too. Maintainence is too costly.

There are some consequences of it. Public transport is not accessible everywhere and ola/uber will cost a lot of money if you use it for going to your job everyday. We have a dog too. Very difficult to find a public transport who will accept my dog.

I understand this is a difficult situation. A few suggestions - could you hire a professional driving instructor to give you lessons in their car? This may help build confidence and skills. Also consider selling the car for what you can get, even if it's a loss, and using transport that doesn't require driving for now until you feel ready. Safety should be the top priority here. There are usually alternatives if you look for solutions together.

Hi,
You cannot learn driving on your own. How can you teach yourself when you don't know how to drive ?
You can learn how to operate the controls of the car on your own somewhere private and not on a public road. Controlling the car is the easy part and is only 5% of the skill needed to "drive" a car.
You will not be insured, and will be a danger to everyone.

In a dual control car the student drives the car as normally. The instructor only uses his pedals to take control in an emergency or sometimes uses them to teach clutch control.

The average age people learn to drive in the UK is 26, mainly because owning and driving a car is very expensive.

Why did you pay 2.5 lakh for a car that is not worth 1 lakh ?

Your just give a constant list of reasons to try and justify not having proper driver training or a driving licence.

Use public transport, if it is not available, ride a bicycle. If the dog needs to go somewhere, walk it, dogs like going for a walk.

Post a photo of your car.

Regards Neil

Thread Starter #9
Hi,
You cannot learn driving on your own. How can you teach yourself when you don't know how to drive ?
You can learn how to operate the controls of the car on your own somewhere private and not on a public road. Controlling the car is the easy part and is only 5% of the skill needed to "drive" a car.
You will not be insured, and will be a danger to everyone.

In a dual control car the student drives the car as normally. The instructor only uses his pedals to take control in an emergency or sometimes uses them to teach clutch control.

The average age people learn to drive in the UK is 26, mainly because owning and driving a car is very expensive.

Why did you pay 2.5 lakh for a car that is not worth 1 lakh ?

Your just give a constant list of reasons to try and justify not having proper driver training or a driving licence.

Use public transport, if it is not available, ride a bicycle. If the dog needs to go somewhere, walk it, dogs like going for a walk.

Post a photo of your car.

Regards Neil
We purchased it from spinny. We cannot even bargain for lowering prices when we purchase from Spinny. We should have purchased a car from a local auto car dealer but there will be problem related to hassle and getting a damaged car.

If we shift to another home or take him to the vet, I cannot manage to walk my dog for so long.

Attachments

Nairrk

Honoured Member
The original thread (Should My Brother Quit Driving?) where all the discussions about learning the driving skill was closed by the Admin.
This new thread was opened by the TS to get a solution about his car power window issues however it seems the discussion again deviates to the old topic.

I think we now stick to the new topic as enough discussions already held about old subject.

Thread Starter #11
The original thread (Should My Brother Quit Driving?) where all the discussions about learning the driving skill was closed by the Admin.
This new thread was opened by the TS to get a solution about his car power window issues however it seems the discussion again deviates to the old topic.

I think we now stick to the new topic as enough discussions already held about old subject.
Yes, of course. I don't want my money draining.

The issue with my power window this time was burnt wiring of power window and main fuse blown off

The issue with my power window this time was burnt wiring of power window and main fuse blown off
Before pumping in more money into the repairs, get the wiring checked thoroughly through a good electrician so the root cause can be identified which shall save you time and money.

Top Bottom